WTTW News, Associate Digital Reporter
- Full Time
WTTW (Chicago PBS) is seeking an Associate Digital Reporter who will cover Chicago nature, including wildlife and environmental issues, for wttw.com/news.
- Research, pitch, report and write original stories related to an urban nature beat, including, but not limited to, news stories, interactive features and analysis using a mix of traditional and new media storytelling elements such as video, text, interactive graphics and photography.
- Develop beat – and sources – to break unique stories that keep readers engaged and informed.
- Collaborate with WTTW News Digital Editor to develop beat and storytelling practices.
- Explain complex topics to readers in fresh, compelling ways.
- Apply social media best practices to engage audience, expand reach and gather news.
- Experiment and innovate while maintaining vision of brand in order to grow audience.
- Deliver occasional on-air debriefs for WTTW’s flagship newsmagazine “Chicago Tonight.”
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS REQUIRED: The ideal candidate will have the ability to research a variety of topics, materials and individuals from various sources through interviews, public meetings, FOIA requests, etc. Demonstrated experience reporting, researching and fact-checking news stories is key. Must be able to manage multiple reporting projects simultaneously while working in a small group under pressure and meet all deadlines. Ability to revise and clarify work as requested by editor. Keen interest in digital storytelling required. Must be able to follow AP style. Knowledge of Photoshop, basic HTML and open source content management system is also preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE: Candidate must have 3-plus years of professional reporting and writing experience and a full understanding of journalistic ethics and procedure. Candidate should have demonstrated ability to report and write clear, compelling and timely stories that engage and inspire readers. Candidate understands digital storytelling techniques and has strong knowledge of social media. Experience working effectively under minimal supervision is also desired.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.