Digital Communications Manager
- Full Time
We’re looking for a versatile manager to lead and contribute to digital communications projects at our Ashburn, Virginia campus. The ideal candidate has the creative vision to translate ideas into compelling and visually appealing digital communications products, the technical expertise to move comfortably between digital channels, and the organizational and leadership skills to manage complex projects from idea to product. This is a job for someone who not only enjoys technical work but also excels at the softer skills of building relationships, balancing priorities, and working collaboratively with scientists and staff in a complex, dynamic environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Web management and strategy
- Manage web projects and communications campaigns, including contributions from staff in HHMI communications and outside consultants. Develop concepts and manage projects, through start-up to execution and close-out, by using, articulating and documenting consistent processes. Develop, articulate, and maintain analytics tailored to goals and meaningful communications outcomes.
- Prepare for and project-manage (with IT and Communications partners) a full website redesign for Janelia.org, in the Drupal content management system.
- Establish and maintain content calendars to ensure digital channels are regularly refreshed, accurate, performing, and reflecting organizational priorities.
- Consult with scientists and operations staff across Janelia to assess digital communications needs and strategically evaluate requests; offer tools, training, and methods, as necessary to enable staff to communicate directly and effectively.
- Design web layouts and publish content, in line with brand and style standards. Actively and consistently incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion considerations into content choices.
- Digital creative support
- Bring creative vision, a digital-first approach, and technical expertise to storytelling at Janelia by managing and producing images, infographics, videos, and other assets that elevate our communications.
- Develop and integrate creative content across a variety of digital platforms, including but not limited to website, social media, intranet, campus-wide digital displays.
- Stay abreast of digital communications trends and opportunities, to pragmatically implement best practices that work for Janelia.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least five years of relevant experience in communications or web design
- Experience leading creative digital projects
- Experience collaborating closely with stakeholders who are technical experts, such as scientists or other professionals
Skills and Abilities
- Creative vision and technical skills to translate ideas into communications products
- Ability to translate customer needs into technical requirements and explain technical issues
- Experience keeping projects and project teams focused, organized, and moving forward. Knowledge of project and task management tools is a plus
- Thorough knowledge of online production environments, project phases, and common challenges
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Basic graphic design and production skills
- Experience with analytics tools, such as Google Analytics
- Keen attention to detail, with particular emphasis on accuracy, follow-up, and follow-through
- Outstanding communications and interpersonal skills, ability to develop trust and credibility with a wide range of staff
- Openness to experimentation and evaluation; comfort with constructive criticism
- Ability to collaborate, consult, and align with a distributed team
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.