Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
JOB TITLE: Associate Editor, Journals (Computer Science), New York
DEPARTMENT: Mathematics, Physical & Applied Sciences (MPAS) Journals
REPORTS TO: Senior Editor, Computer Science
The global editorial team in Computer Science, part of the Springer Nature Journals Group, publishes over eighty scholarly journals. Associate Editor Computer Science, under supervision of the Senior Editor, will maintain an established portfolio of roughly fifteen journals, with a focus on enhancing performance of the current titles, exploring opportunities for acquiring content, and participating in research communities.
Reporting to the Senior Editor, the Associate Editor ensures the journals’ pipeline growth and content development. S/he must prepare for, and independently lead, individual EiC discussions, as well as conduct editorial board meetings. The job includes traveling to conferences and universities for in-person conversations with researchers to conduct market research and predict future trends. Troubleshooting, prioritizing, organizing and coordinating assignments with high levels of flexibility and efficiency are paramount.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Proactively grow journals by communicating with EiCs and editorial boards to keep members engaged in journal activities. Includes strategic insight, initiative, independent judgement, and very strong interpersonal skills.
- Travel to and attend conferences, visit universities and participate in research communities for networking and gathering market research on trends in the field. Requires independent travel and ability to drive to locations as necessary.
- Prepare strategic development plans: outlining content growth opportunities, recommending leadership changes, and addressing threats/weaknesses.
- Prepare proposals and/or contracts for new journals, renewals, amendments and journal payments for editorial approval.
- Generate pipeline reports to ensure program is growing and deadlines are met.
- Acquire and track special issues to grow content and publish where the field is growing.
- Coordinate guest editor orientation and liaise with other departments.
- Monitor peer-review activity to guide efficient editing/reviewing practices.
- Develop strong working relationships with colleagues across all departments.
- Efficiently handle administrative tasks, ranging from internal systems, group file sharing, journal recordkeeping, to creating management reports for CS Editorial Director as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree with least 3 years of office experience.
- 3 years' experience in journal publishing is preferred.
- Excellent networking, acquiring skills, along with good presentation skills.
- Excellent team-working skills; being assertive and diplomatic when dealing with colleagues internally and externally at all levels.
- Laser focus and attention to detail; exhibiting strong organizational and analytical skills are a must.
- Ability to set own schedule, organize and prioritize numerous tasks and take initiative for team projects.
- Flexibility and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, demonstrating a commercial/entrepreneurial spirit.
- Resourcefulness and proactive problem-solving for both queries and opportunities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; thorough knowledge of office procedures including efficient e-recordkeeping.
- Very strong computer skills required in MS Word, and Excel; database and other software to track projects across a portfolio of journals.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster: