- Full Time
Our Children’s Books design group is currently seeking a Design Manager to join their fast-paced, creative team. In this role, the Design Manager will design covers and interiors for novelty, licensed properties and media tie in programs.
- Working collaboratively with all members of the design and editorial team on the development of fast paced licensing book programs from concept to finish.
- Organizing, designing and managing several projects per season with guidance from sr. art director.
- Hiring and directing artists for illustrated book projects, circulating their work for approval, keeping them on schedule, and processing their invoices.
- Designing covers and presenting them for approval.
- Preparing jacket, cover, and interior mechanicals for the printer, being responsible for all stages of design for picture books, paperback and hardcover books from manuscript to bound book.
- Checking color proofs and various stages of printing through bound book.
- Maintaining publication schedules, keeping manager informed of status and archiving all projects in DAM.
As needed you will:
- Provide design support to sr. art director on special projects.
- Trend spot: Stay on top of design trends in children’s books, toy packaging, and related media.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant work experience required, experience with novelty, licensed properties and media tie-ins a must
- Knowledge of typography, graphic design, book manufacturing, 4-color printing process, and production
- Pre-press experience preferred
- Strong Mac skills and mastery of Adobe Creative Suite software, especially InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to sketch/thumbnail concepts and art direction for illustrators a plus
- Well organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and maintain a timely workflow under tight deadlines
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting
- College degree or equivalent work experience
HarperCollins Publishers is a company full of people who are passionate about books. When you apply for a position, we want to know why you want to work here, and why you are interested in the job. That’s why cover letters are strongly preferred.
HarperCollins Publishers is an equal opportunity employer.