Penguin Random House is looking for an Assistant Production Editor to support the Copy Chief and other department members with handling departmental workflow, performing light proofreading and copyediting, quality checking e-books, and managing administrative duties.
* Creating and maintaining book files, running reports to track schedules, creating purchase orders and service entries, and processing payment for freelancers.
* Collaborating extensively with internal departments including Managing Editorial, Production, and Editorial.
* Coordinating with freelance copyeditors and proofreaders, mailing packages containing proofs, and serving as a primary in-house contact person for freelancers.
* Assisting with light copyediting and proofreading of later stages of books, indexes, reprint corrections, jackets, and other materials.
* Checking e-books files and reviewing quality control submitted by freelance readers.
* Managing and processing dead matter in departmental archives.
* Related production, editorial, managing editorial, or freelance proofreading and copyediting experience preferred
* Copyediting and proofreading skills; knowledge of Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition, and The Chicago Manual of Style
* Superb attention to detail
* Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
* Excellent organizational and time management skills
* Ability to prioritize multiple assignments, work well under pressure, and consistently meet tight deadlines
* Self-motivated team player with good critical thinking skills
* Proficiency with Microsoft Word (including the “track changes” editing function), Excel, and Outlook
* Familiarity with Google Docs, Filemaker Pro and eReaders a plusPenguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.