Culture + News Writer - Audience Development
We’re looking for quick-thinking, creative digital media writers to publish the most engaging and shareable stories on the web. We need writers who can pitch and deliver topical stories that hit big on social media and drive new audiences to our sites. Somebody who feeds on data, lives for fresh ideas and isn't afraid to pivot quickly to new projects.
We need a newsy-but-funny writer — ideally with a tech and/or news background — to contribute articles to high-stakes editorial projects, delivering sparkling copy with clicky headlines under tight deadlines.
Our creative team lives and breathes data, so comfort responding to analytics is key. Experience at a daily publication, using a CMS and photo databases are all a plus.
This is a contract position with potential full-time hours in our Burbank office, on a central team that provides marketing, editorial, and creative services to the CBSi O&O websites, including: CBS.com, CNET, Gamespot, CBSNews.com and TVGuide.com.
- Create a consistent stream of engaging, shareable content for our sites and platforms
- Write long-form narrative articles on trending, tech, pop culture and news topics
- Use photo gallery, quiz and short video formats to tell different kinds of stories — and to find traffic, reach, revenue and/or subscribers
- Contribute fresh ideas for features, and be ready to act fast on those approved
- Use traffic numbers and other data to fine-tune ideas and hit goals
- Contribute to regular brainstorms
- Program social content tuned to drive traffic
- Research and clear photos for publication
- Minimum 2 years of related experience
- Editorial — not just social — publishing experience is a must
- Knowledge of tech, news and internet culture: politics, consumer technology, memes, commerce, viral topics, culture
- Firm grasp of journalistic ethics and strong news judgement
- Very strong writing skills — we will want to see examples of work
- Experience sourcing photos for site / social / video use
- Sense of humor
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- Must successfully pass a background check
- Please send resume
- And links to 2-3 writing samples. These can be from smaller publications or personal sites, if those best demonstrate your skills.