Video Journalist, In-Depth Explanations
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a video journalist to produce clear and compelling explainer videos as part of its global video team. Video journalists on this team are responsible for producing informative and insightful videos ranging in length from two to seven minutes. Top candidates for this position will have a professional background in journalism and deep experience reporting, conceptualizing and executing motion graphics, shooting live and stop-motion video, as well as demonstrate shooting and editing skills. Top candidates will have a track record of creating highly-visual, in-depth videos that make sense of complicated topics, trends, issues and developments, with a specific focus on The Journal’s core coverage areas. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate exceptional technical skill, high creativity and a dogged devotion to getting the job done under tight deadline constraints.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Partnering with reporters and editors across the newsroom to identify and produce timely video pieces that clearly communicate complicated topics, trends, issues and developments
- Pitching, developing, researching and writing stories
- Producing and shooting interviews in studio, along with executing creative shoots with props and other objects
- Editing videos utilizing video, stills and motion graphics
- Managing multiple projects in various stages of production
- Ensuring that all journalistic and legal standards are followed at all times
- Ability to work late hours and weekends both as part of a regular weekend rotation and as news developments may warrant
- Completing additional duties as assigned
Key candidate requirements:
- At least three years’ experience producing informational videos, preferably in a daily news environment at a top-tier news organization
- Ability to convey news and tell stories in creative ways using high-quality video, graphics and props
- Deep understanding of, and interest in, The Wall Street Journal’s core topic areas
- Demonstrated experience with multiple camera setups, including but not limited to the Sony FS5, FS7, C100 and C300
- Adept with studio lighting setups
- Professional-level understanding of Adobe Suite, with a high level of expertise in Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop and Illustrator
- Clear communicator with exceptional written and collaboration skills
- All interested candidates should submit a cover letter clearly outlining how their skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, along with links to five videos that represent the type of work described.
All interested candidates should submit a cover letter clearly outlining how their skills and experience meet or exceed the key candidate requirements, along with links to five videos that represent the type of work described.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 19069