Platform Editor, News Partnerships
- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a New York-based platform editor to help manage programming decisions on Apple News and other digital platforms.
You should employ superb news judgment and knowledge of audience data in programming decisions to inform, engage and delight our readers. The role calls for sharp writing and strong editing skills in crafting headlines and display text, as well as an understanding of how to balance the needs of breaking news and enterprise journalism with our audience in mind.
The role requires speed and proficiency with digital publishing tools and a strong command of newsroom workflows. We need someone who can be an advocate for the needs of our off-platform channels with coverage chiefs and an evangelist for digital storytelling in the newsroom. In addition to being a key voice in product improvements for digital platforms and editorial tools, you will help manage day-to-day relationships with external partners and be involved in shaping storytelling experiments.
You will report to the Editor, News Partnerships.
- Exercises superb judgment in packaging and presenting news.
- Demonstrates excellence in editing and digital headline writing.
- Employs strong design and visual judgment to enhance digital storytelling packages.
- Understands how to balance breaking news with enterprise and features journalism.
- Recognizes the Journal’s digital audience and its needs and expectations.
- Helps connect the content with the audience.
- Familiar with the Journal’s brand, content offering and various digital/print platforms.
- Upholds The Wall Street Journal’s high standards and ethics.
Digital media skills
- Ease with editing different types of media, e.g., text, graphics, share text and captions.
- Shapes informative and engaging packages on digital home pages and within articles.
- Uses audience data to inform curation and strategy decisions, adjusting as needed.
- Understands the value of search-engine optimization, notably headlines and tags.
- Possesses deep knowledge of digital and social-media strategies and publishing tools.
- Command of newsroom publishing tools, metadata and visual storytelling devices.
- Ability and willingness to assist in troubleshooting digital publishing issues.
- Detail-oriented. Takes pride in and ownership of one’s own work.
- Works well independently and as a leader on a larger team.
- Thrives in an atmosphere of constant change and embraces experimentation.
- Comfortable balancing multiple tasks and responsibilities while meeting deadlines.
- Collaborates with other groups and employs excellent communication skills.
- Open-minded. Welcomes learning new skills and opportunities to teach others.
- General awareness of how our newsroom works and others’ roles and responsibilities.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 19109