Associate Art Director
- Full Time
W.W. Norton & Company has an opening for an Associate Art Director for their Countryman Press imprint. In this role, they will work closely with Countryman’s team of editors and production managers to craft one-of-a-kind and series books in the categories of cooking, lifestyle, nature, travel, and gift. This position will focus on both cover design but will also handle interior design as well. He or she must bring a critical eye for design, above average communication skills, as well as an autonomous and organized workflow as both a designer and art director. Understanding the publishing industry, cover design nuance, and an overall love for creative thinking is a must.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Work directly with the editorial and production teams for Countryman Press to craft beautiful covers, jackets, and interiors for a wide variety of categories.
- Coordinate and manage cover design meetings for the Countryman imprint.
- Attend production and other meetings, as needed, for the Countryman imprint.
- Manage Pre-press preparation for their own titles.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design
- Minimum of 6-8 years of design experience at a publishing company.
- Art Direction experience is a plus.
- Must understand the nuances of cover design across multiple genres and have a range of styles which fit the diversity of Norton’s publishing program.
- Experience designing book page layouts for cookbooks and 4 color books.
- Excellent communication and organization skills.
- Critical eye for design.
- Understanding of how production techniques can inform design and vice versa a plus.
- Inspired to think independently and creatively.
- Must be able to efficiently manage their own workload.
- Must have a positive attitude towards collaboration.
- Must have the ability to manage a flexible list and tight deadlines.
- Fluency in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Must be able to work full business hours in Norton’s NYC headquarters.
- Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with W. W. Norton is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, age, color, sex, religion, veteran status, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the human resource manager.