Student Media Advisor
- Full Time
Department: Student Engagement
Recruitment #: S1982
Application Deadline: Preference given to applications received by November 18, 2019. Position open until filled.
Estimated Salary Range: $34,000 - $38,000
Western Oregon University’s offers an excellent benefits package for eligible employees which includes 95% premium paid healthcare, a generous retirement and vacation package, and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities. http://www.wou.edu/hr/benefits/
Department / Job Summary:
This is a regular, 10-month (Sept 1 – June 30), full-time unclassified position in Student Media within the Student Engagement department at Western Oregon University in Monmouth. Student Media is funded through the Incidental Fee Committee (IFC). The Student Media program exists to provide a positive educational experience for students while producing quality outlets for news, entertainment, and the expression of diverse ideas and opinions.
The Student Media Advisor provides professional advice and guidance to The Western Howl, KWOU, and Northwest Passage student media heads. This position works with student staff and volunteers to provide a sound educational experience while producing quality outlets for news, entertainment, and the expression of diverse ideas and opinions. This position serves as an ex-officio member of the Student Media Board. The Advisor is responsible for all aspects related to the Student Media budget. This is a professional position that will require a flexible schedule involving some evening work.
We are not considering candidates who require Visa sponsorship support. Additionally, the university typically only considers visa support for employees placed in specialized positions that are continuing regular university appointments.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field (media, communications, journalism, humanities, etc.)
• Experience in the field of print and/or broadcast media
• Demonstrated skills in editing, writing, and proofreading
• Strong understanding of production cycles for multiple media outlets
• Knowledge of legal issues relating to print and broadcast media
• Experience in an educational setting and with advising student-led groups and organizations.
• Experience in marketing and copywriting
• Experience with budget development and management
**A criminal background check will be required as a condition of employment
You may submit all materials online via the link provided.
Required application materials (PDF preferred):
1. WOU Employment Application available at www.wou.edu/prostaffapp
2. Letter of application that addresses each qualification of the position. Please include how your experience, education, and/or training might help us build a more inclusive, collaborative, and diverse community
4. Contact information for three references
5. Copy of unofficial transcripts for highest degree earned
As an alternative, you may also submit application materials to:
S1982, Student Media Advisor, Human Resources, Western Oregon University, 345 Monmouth Ave N, Monmouth, OR 97361; OR E-mail to email@example.com; OR fax to: 503-838-8144
Western Oregon University (WOU) is a mid-sized public comprehensive university located in the heart of Oregon’s lush Willamette Valley. The university serves a large number of first-generation college students. WOU has received national recognition for its commitment and success in serving students. The campus is about 20 minutes from Salem, the state’s capital, about 75 minutes from Portland, the state’s cultural hub, and a short drive from the Oregon coast, mountains, and other scenic areas. The university is located in an increasingly diverse, bilingual, and rural area in the Willamette Valley. Our student body of about 4800 undergraduate and 600 graduate students enjoys a vibrant and close-knit intellectual community.
Western Oregon University is an AA/EOE/Veteran/Disability employer and is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.