Director, PBS PLUS
- Full Time
Director, PBS PLUS
Team: General Audience Programming
Status: Full time/Regular/Exempt
Under the direction of the Vice President, Program Scheduling, the Director of PBS PLUS is responsible for the curation of content provided to PBS member stations through PBS’ syndicated programming service, PLUS. As part of this role, the incumbent facilitates the selection, presentation, packaging, funder and credit review, and distribution of all programs under the PBS PLUS umbrella and will look across the breadth of the service with an eye to innovative strategies and processes that will strengthen the PLUS slate and complement the General Audience programming strategies.
- Employs a strong editorial eye, reviewing and curating interesting, entertaining, and innovative content.
- Curates groups of programs under a theme to provide stations with an exhibit of content.
- Works with VP of Program Scheduling to evaluate and determine what will be distributed to PBS stations via the PLUS service.
- Oversees the PLUS submissions process, managing proposals from independent and station producers.
- Collaborates with GA Programming senior staff to develop strategies around PLUS programs and scheduling.
- Serves as primary point-person for all PLUS producers once their proposals have been greenlit.
- Establishes and maintains project framework, production schedules, and milestones and proactively follows through on all key project deliverables to ensure timely receipt of assets for on-air and promotional opportunities.
- Works directly with producers to evaluate and oversee the development and packaging of their productions, which includes educating producers on PBS policies and technical requirements.
- Screens programs for FCC compliance issues and creates flag reports for producers and internal departments.
- Works closely with Programming staff to oversee programming forms and the timely and accurate preparation of titles for on-air.
- Acts as a liaison between producers and PBS Programming, Content Services, Program Business Affairs, Standards & Practices, Multiplatform Marketing, Business Intelligence, PBS Digital and other internal stakeholders, meeting with them regularly, fielding questions, and seeking answers for dissemination.
- Coordinates with Digital team on the PLUS presence and offerings on the PBS website.
- Works with Research to collect data on PLUS program usage and other key analysis points.
- Manage content, clip reels, and materials necessary to promote PLUS for PBS conferences and outside meetings.
- Represent Programming at external meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Experience Required:
- 6 years of media experience, preferably in a public broadcasting environment.
Minimum Education/Training Required:
- B.A. communications, television/film production preferred or similar field or equivalent experience.
- Strong analytical and editorial skills with respect to program material.
- Self-starter with an eagerness to improve and to innovate around processes.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills – working with multiple projects in numerous stages of development and completion.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – diplomacy a must.
- Ability to oversee and collaborate with PBS staff and external parties for successful project execution.
- Ability to work under stressful circumstances, react to change productively, and handle other duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to work as a team player in a team environment.
- Working familiarity with various genres, including, but not limited to, arts, culture, science, and history programming.
- Understanding of content development and production process.
- Ability to pre-screen programs and identify and evaluate sensitive or problematic material in programs to ensure that they meet all PBS packaging guidelines.
- Knowledge of public television and its member stations.
- Understanding of PBS guidelines, operations, and industry practices with respect to broadcast production and technology is desirable.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities