Director of Publisher Growth
- Full Time
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
At Medium, we have launched a series of ad-free, subscription-based publications in both broad-interest and niche subject areas. These publications exist solely to serve readers, not advertisers. We are looking to add a solutions-minded, action-oriented leader to our editorial operation.
What the Role Will Do
This person will partner with and support the VP, Publisher Growth, day to day, and work cross-functionally to make our editorial operations thrive. They will support our platform-based editorial publications, focused on their growth and overall health, and will assist in the effort to identify -- and then launch -- new publication opportunities, particularly in underserved niche subject areas. This person is passionate about both traditional editorial and Medium's open platform.
- Support VP, Publisher Growth & Strategy on day-to-day basis as needed, specifically on execution, and occasionally on big-picture strategic initiatives
- Work closely with the VP, Publisher Growth & Strategy on executing our platform-based editorial publications strategy
- Monitor and manage publication metrics and performance over time, providing regular internal and external reporting and feedback
- Help project-manage new publication launches, working cross-functionally with editorial, product, marketing/audience and others
- Provide insights, share knowledge and overcome roadblocks for the team working across platform-based publications
Who You Are
You are operations-minded, comfortable making data-informed and instinct-based decisions, and you love solving problems. You will flourish by strategically identifying new opportunities-and then executing on them. You should have omnivorous interests, and have a real passion for serving readers stories and information they crave.
- You have 8+ years senior-level experience in media or content-based tech
- You have a bias towards action and a reputation for getting things done
- You are collaborative, upbeat, and solutions-oriented
- You have a proven record of solving hard problems in creative and strategic ways
- You are comfortable making data- as well as instinct-based decisions
- You are a business-minded editorial lead with experience building and managing teams, crunching data, goal setting, and achievement
- You like working in a startup environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day
- You are curious and display excellent taste and editorial judgment
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested? We'd love to hear from you.