Audio Producer/Reporter, Latino USA
- Full Time
Latino USA, a nationally broadcast hour-long radio program on NPR hosted by Maria Hinojosa, is seeking a Producer for a full-time, permanent position to join our expanding and vibrant team of audio journalists.
Latino USA’s interviews and pieces cover subjects concerning Latinos nationwide with heavy focuses on immigration, criminal justice, technology, human rights, labor, sexual and reproductive health, Latino identity, arts, and cultural coverage. For more information on the show, visit the main site here. The offices of Futuro Media Group, which produces Latino USA, are located in Harlem, New York City.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Producer will:
- Have a strong background in immigration reporting
- Produce long-form, character-driven features and investigations for national radio
- Generate ideas for coverage of the aforementioned topic areas (plus more) and bring well-developed pitches to the weekly editorial meeting
- Work with reporters and partners to gather tape and interviews for the show
- Travel as needed while working closely with host on special projects
- Report on topics as assigned and produce first-person radio features as needed
- Write, book, line produce, and edit host-led 2-ways
- Brief the host prior to regular appearances on other broadcast outlets if needed
- Write web content and social media as assigned
- Help with general production tasks as needed
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in journalism, communications, Latino studies, or a related field; or equivalent work experience.
- Two to five years of experience producing long-form or documentary radio or podcast reports.
- Experience writing and editing broadcast scripts for radio or television.
- Spanish language skills a plus, but not required.
- A knack for developing relationships and sources.
- Significant experience with ProTools or similar digital audio editing platforms.
- Experience working with talent.
- Commitment to diverse coverage within and outside of the Latino community, in terms of sexual orientation, gender, and race.
- Ability to think thematically and integrate stories into the larger narrative of each week’s program.
- Experience pitching story ideas and subsequently developing them.
- Attention to detail, great organizational skills, and capacity to complete projects in their entirety and on deadline.
- Teamwork ethic, great communication skills, and rock-solid reliability.
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Please submit the following:
- a cover letter stating qualifications
- your resume
- three (3) work samples (can be links)
- and three (3) references
We encourage early applications.
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.