Technical Editor - Accounting Publications
- Full Time
Edit magazine feature and technical articles for Strategic Finance magazine and Management Accounting Quarterly, applying accounting and finance knowledge and expertise as well as a strong command of writing and language. You also will research and write articles for print and online platforms and help determine content for publications. This position reports to the Editor-in-Chief/Director, Publications.
- Edit articles submitted to IMA and chosen for publication in Strategic Finance and Management Accounting Quarterly. This includes researching the subject of each article and analyzing the original text. It also involves working with the author to discuss, make, and agree to revisions. Also involves fact checking for accuracy and applying IMA style.
- Edit columns and departments for Strategic Finance as necessary.
- Contribute to monthly editorial meetings. Generate ideas for sidebars and supplemental elements for Strategic Finance features and columns. Identify ways to create more connection between the print issue and website.
- Research and develop topics for future articles.
- Research, report, and write original articles for Strategic Finance and/or SFmagazine.com.
- Assist with special projects and assignments as necessary, such as helping select articles for the magazines from submitted manuscripts and occasionally attending conferences and other events to research subject matter.
- Stay current with developments pertaining to the accounting and finance profession around the world, including corporate reporting standards and frameworks, integrated reporting, sustainability reporting and the impact of technology on information delivery, visualization, analysis, and decisions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES and OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred. B.A. in Journalism or English (or equivalent work experience) also acceptable but must include demonstrated relevant accounting and finance experience.
- Accounting and/or finance experience strongly preferred. CMA a plus.
- Strong writing skills for business audiences. This includes converting technical matters to actionable insights and the ability to describe and communicate advanced technical subjects in easy-to-follow, clear language for practitioners of all levels of experience.
- Understanding of key trends facing the accounting and finance profession, particularly in the areas of technology, risk management, internal controls, financial reporting, standards, and more.
- Technologically savvy—for the profession and for personal application.
- Minimum of two years of experience editing financial publications.
- Knowledge of the financial, accounting, and technology industries. Certificate, certification, and/or degree in this area a plus.
- Knowledge of/experience in digital publishing a plus.
- Exceptional proficiency in written and spoken English.
- Experience and ability to work collectively and harmoniously with others both inside and outside of IMA. This requires appreciating, accepting, and respecting individual diversity of skill, opinion, and style.
- Proven detail orientation.
- Proven skills using several software packages, including Word and Excel.
- Excellent editing and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional proofreading ability.
- Good organizational skills and proactive mind-set.
- Ability to work well in a deadline-oriented environment and to write and edit quickly.
- Understanding of what constitutes a first-rate, professionally published magazine article.
- Significant competency in analyzing prose for readability, logic, completeness, clarity, coherence, and storytelling qualities.
Ability to gather and understand information