Scientific American, the longest continuously published magazine in the U.S., has been bringing its readers unique insights about developments in science and technology since 1845. Scientific American has 3.5 million print and tablet readers worldwide, more than 7.5 million visitors on ScientificAmerican.com, and appears in 13 translated editions, which are read in more than 30 countries.
Editor in Chief, Scientific American
New York, NY
The Scientific American Editor in Chief leads the teams responsible for producing the flagship magazine, scientificamerican.com and other branded products. The role is responsible for developing and executing an innovative content strategy that is relevant to our times, and fundamentally informed by the commercial needs of our business. The Editor in Chief upholds the highest editorial standards of excellence, and is an important brand representative.
- Set content vision and strategy that responds to business opportunities, user data and market conditions -- both long and immediate term.
- Maintain the brand values and integrity of Scientific American by establishing and upholding editorial policies and guidelines, working with global Magazines colleagues.
- Develop innovative content types, products and services informed by user data and market trends.
- Set tone for content overall, and work with team members to deliver that tone consistently across multiple media platforms.
- Closely observe and respond to emerging trends in the media landscape to ensure our offering retains currency, prominence and relevance.
- Plan and supervise strategic editorial projects, such as special reports and single-topic issues, on all content platforms and help coordinate between print and digital editions.
- Contribute to commercial success by ensuring editorial strategy is responsive to reader behavior, customer feedback and other market drivers.
- Contribute to the growth of Scientific American’s products, including developing and launching new content and other brand-related services that fulfil audience needs.
- Participate in the joint strategy for all Magazines Research Services editorial content, working under the guidance of the VP, E&P Magazines, and other editorial, business and publishing colleagues.
- Build and maintain connections and visibility within the relevant academic and commercial spaces to support business growth and stay abreast of relevant trends in science communication.
- Oversee editorial/design/multimedia operations of Scientific American magazine across all relevant platforms including online and print.
- Oversee budgeting and ensure that content is both high-quality and worthy of the Scientific American brand as well as cost-efficiently produced.
- Collaborate with international editions, including participating in the development of large collaborative projects.
- Represent Scientific American and Springer Nature, as needed, with an eye to creating other synergies for other parts of the company
- Ensure that other team members develop skills and experience required to build similar opportunities to represent the brand externally.
- Extensive journalistic experience; a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, science or the equivalent experience preferred
- Proven skills in editorial management, content strategy, content creation, multiple print and digital channels, including social media
- Proven background in defining, organizing, and interpreting data necessary to define editorial objectives and strategy
- Ability to derive meaningful audience insights and use those findings to increase customer satisfaction and address unmet needs
- Demonstrated effective influencing skills, especially within a matrix environment
- Ability to represent Scientific American in relationships with academic and institutional clients
- Ability to represent Scientific American in public fora, including broadcast media
- Demonstrated capability to collaborate with commercial and publishing colleagues to grow revenue
- Strengths in stakeholder management
- Ability to develop precise budgets and effectively manage expenses and cost commitments
- Proven skills and knowledge of culturally aware business operations
- Comfort in ensuring strong ethical practice in a commercial content business
- Knowledge of international science communication markets
- Detail-oriented; able to manage complexity
- Significant experience in an editorial leadership role
- Track record in editorial innovation and development of strategy that effectively responds to a rapidly disrupting media landscape
- Demonstrated experience of managing change
- Extensive experience in digital and print publishing, particularly in developing innovative digital products
- Experience in collaborating in a large organization and developing strong working relationships with key stakeholders
- Senior leadership experience in managing performance for large, diverse teams
- Strong experience of balancing the importance of editorial and commercial requirements
- Experience of senior level external representation for a brand or product
- Experience of brand management both internally and externally
CLOSE DATE: DECEMBER 9th 2019
If you are an internal candidate please inform your line manager.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
For information about our Research Editorial and Publishing career opportunities please visit the new Springer Nature E&P website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.