BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought open access to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 290 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
Job Title: Assistant Editor, Peer Review
Location: New York
The BMC series is a group of open access, peer reviewed journals that span all areas of biology and medicine. There are over 60 subject-specific journals focused on the needs of individual research communities, offering an efficient, fair and friendly peer review service, and committed to publishing all sound science, provided that there is some advance in knowledge presented by the work.
As Assistant Editor you will contribute to the peer review process of the BMC Series, assigning manuscripts to Associate Editors from the Editorial Board, reviewing editorial decisions for adherence to editorial policies in conjunction with the Editor, and responding to author and EBM queries.
Key performance indicators include rapid publication, sound peer-review practices, and high levels of service to Authors and Editors alike, ensuring the quality of published content remains high. You will be part of a large team based in New York, Shanghai and London and play an important role in the success of The BMC Series. You must be task focused and work towards deadlines.
- Assessing manuscripts for suitability for peer review and adherence to editorial policy requirements
- Allocating manuscripts to Editorial board members based on their suitability
- Ensure manuscripts comply with journal policy ahead of publication
- Ensuring the successful handling of transfers into BMC-series journals and successful transfer of out-of-scope manuscripts to more appropriate BMC-series journals.
- Responding effectively and within agreed timelines to queries from authors and editors, ensuring you provide a good customer service to external contacts
- Identifying and highlighting problems promptly and proposing improvements to process, assisting in the review and improvement of peer-review processes and systems
- Liaise with editorial board members to support them in resolving manuscript issues
- Proactively suggest to Editors areas where additional editorial board members would be beneficial
- Contribute to project work to improve the peer review process
- Resolve questions with authors such as when manuscripts are flagged with ethics concerns, as required
- Work closely with colleagues in other teams to ensure a smooth and joined-up manuscript journey and seamless author experience
- Other duties include highlighting interesting articles for PR and liaising with the Research Integrity Group for advice.
- Acquire additional skills in preparation for applying for senior positions across the department
Knowledge, Skills, Experience:
- An interest in open access publishing and a sound knowledge / interest in science in general, knowledge of editorial process and related matters is desirable
- Ability to work to complete a specified and varied list of priorities with speed and accuracy, adhering to (often competing) deadlines
- Ability to follow instructions and adhere carefully to established procedures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including accurate spelling and grammar
- Ability to work as part of a team and by yourself
Use initiative to problem-solve
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
To apply, please submit a CV and a cover letter outlining your key ambitions in the role, including your salary expectations.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.