Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Associate or Senior Editor, Nature Physics: London, Berlin or New York
Nature Physics — a prestigious international monthly journal covering all areas of physics — is seeking an Associate or Senior Editor to join its editorial team to work on all aspects of the journal.
The ideal candidate should have a PhD (or equivalent) and preferably postdoctoral experience, and should be able to demonstrate a general interest in other areas of research beyond their own. Editorial experience would be beneficial, but is not required.
We are particularly keen to hear from applicants with expertise in quantum physics, quantum technologies and mesoscopic physics, but welcome outstanding candidates in all areas of physics.
The successful candidate will play an important role in determining the representation of their field in the journal, and will work closely with the other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection, commissioning and editing of Reviews and News & Views, and writing for the journal. A key aspect of the job is liaising with the scientific community through laboratory visits and international conferences.
This is a demanding and intellectually stimulating position. Broad scientific knowledge and training, excellent literary skills and a keen interest in the practice and communication of science are a prerequisite. The successful candidate must, therefore, be dynamic and outgoing and have excellent interpersonal skills.
The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis, and will be located in our London, Berlin or New York office.
Applications should include the following:
1. A cover letter telling us who you are and why you want to leave bench-research to become a full-time Nature journal editor, as well as your salary expectations.
2. A CV detailing your education, relevant employment history, list of published scientific papers, and any other achievements that you feel demonstrate your suitability for the position.
3. A 300-word Research Highlight in the style of Nature Physics (see http://nature.com/nphys) on a peer-reviewed research paper that has caught your attention recently. The paper you highlight should not be from your own (or previous) research group, but should be on a topic that you find interesting (and might even wish to learn more about). The highlight should explain the significance and implications of the research to someone who is not a specialist in the subject.
The Nature Physics team is part of a dynamic editorial and publishing environment that also includes Nature, Nature Materials, Nature Nanotechnology, Nature Chemistry and Nature Communications. For more information about the journal, visit our website at http://www.nature.com/nphys/.
Closing date: 2nd December 2019
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
At Springer Nature we value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.