Director Product Management
- Full Time
Cox Automotive is looking for a unique individual to lead the Vehicle Information product team for our wholesale business-to-business marketplace including our Manheim physical auctions, OVE, Manheim.com, Simulcast, and private stores. Vehicle Information is critical for all participants in the marketplace, including Manheim, vehicle owners/sellers, and vehicle buyers.
- Manheim must collect and present information to buyers and sellers in an easily digestible way, enabling them to make confident, informed decisions given the vehicle’s current condition
- Owners/Sellers need Vehicle Information to have a complete picture of a vehicle’s condition from an impartial third party to decide what if anything needs to be repaired, how to market the vehicle, and how to best price the vehicle
- Buyers leverage Vehicle Information to have confidence in what they are buying, and therefore how much to pay
The product leader for this highly-visible and growing team will jump into a rapidly evolving space with increasing client demands which includes the emergence of new condition capture technologies with a focus on vehicle interior, exterior, structural, and mechanical condition. As the team leader, you will partner with internal and external clients to understand market needs, operational and technological constraints, and then craft a Vehicle Information vision and plan. With a plan in hand, you’ll lead a product and technology team to deliver world-class products that delight customers, bestow confidence, and drive revenue growth. We operate in a fast-paced and dynamic environment and follow a version of Scaled Agile for the Enterprise. The ideal candidate is curious, connected, courageous, objective, fast-paced, detail-oriented, and highly self-motivated.
1. Own the Vehicle Information product strategy, roadmap and execution for the US operations of Cox Automotive. Determine peers/best in class solutions, both within and outside the industry. Present and communicate team status across the organization.
2. Understand what is currently captured today, understand the competitive landscape and overall client needs, then identify gaps/strengths/opportunities for each. Develop a point of view on existing products and new capabilities. Share the strategy/roadmap with peers/customers to validate and gain alignment. Together with the business, prioritize opportunities and provide clear direction to the team(s).
3. Understand our physical operations, both within and beyond our physical auctions. Empathize with customers by spending time in the field – buyers, sellers, supporting organizations, and partners.
4. Develop credibility and manage strong client relationships while establishing yourself as a trusted advisor. Uphold commitments by listening, capturing, clear and concise details, manage timely engagements, and actively follow up to continually foster effective relationships.
5. Drive the end-to-end product lifecycle, from concept and implementation to end-of-life. Convert vision to an executable plan from which the team can deliver and which the broader organization can digest. Measure the product impact and modify the product strategy as appropriate.
6. For products tied to client or physical auction deployments, closely partner with peers to ensure accurate and timely deliverables. For non-client specific deployments, ensure tight coordination with product launch and operational teams.
7. Drive strategies that deliver incremental value more frequently versus a single release with a broad range of new features. Push for automated testing to reduce risk and improve scalability.
8. Ensure the team understands the various permutations needed for a product/feature and the need to be highly configurable vs. customized, reusable, and to serve the global market.
Determine what features and products can be reused from other Cox Automotive companies including Autotrader®, Kelley Blue Book®, Manheim® (US and International), Dealertrack®, NextGear Capital®, vAuto®, Ready Logistics®, and Xtime®. Even if features aren’t reused, leverage the knowledge and experience of the broader Cox Automotive organization.
9. Lead 4 direct reports and 4-5 scrum teams (and growing). Mentor and coach a team of Product Managers and Product Delivery Managers to build a highly-effective and high-performing team. Foster team member development to create the next generation of leaders.
10. All other duties as assigned.
7+ years of leadership experience in product management, product
marketing, physical auction operations, software quality assurance, or related functions.
3+ years of experience managing multiple small and moderate-sized teams of people with disparate roles.
BS/BA Degree or equivalent knowledge or practical experience required, MBA or similar relevant degree preferred.
- PMP or equivalent certification along with experience in agile
methodology, understanding of software development lifecycles, and JTBD Theory
- Expertise in highly-matrixed, highly-decentralized product and development teams. Comfortable in engaging in all facets of the organization and across multiple workstreams to support business efforts and common goals using a variety of methods including current web connection tools
- Proficient in MS Office tools especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Visio
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS:
- Resourceful problem solver with a sense of urgency and tenacity to achieve. Work efficiently, sometimes with incomplete information, to close gaps and meet the needs of internal stakeholders and customers alike. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Is comfortable and confident working with unknown and undefined theories and being in uncharted territory with minimal guidance from others. An exceptional team player,
putting the success of the department and company over individual accolades.
- Automotive experience is a plus.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Vice President, Product for Manheim Digital
- Direct reports, including Product Managers and Product Delivery Managers
- Product and Innovation peers, both within Manheim and across Cox Automotive
- Engineering partners across the US
- Internal business customers including P&L owners, Pivet (Mobility Solutions), project managers and client-facing account managers
- Operations partners (both physical auctions and support organizations) to understand the impact of product changes
- Decision Support team, which provides content
- Program Management for statusing and coordination
- Client Engagement for outbound communications and trade-shows
Typical travel required is approximately 30%
About Cox Automotive
Cox Automotive Inc. makes buying, selling and owning cars easier for everyone, while also enabling mobility services. The global company’s 34,000-plus team members and family of brands, including Autotrader®, Clutch Technologies, Dealer.com®, Dealertrack®, Kelley Blue Book®, Manheim®, NextGear Capital®, VinSolutions®, vAuto® and Xtime®, are passionate about helping millions of car shoppers, tens of thousands of auto dealer clients across five continents and many others throughout the automotive industry thrive for generations to come. Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises Inc., a privately-owned, Atlanta-based company with revenues exceeding $20 billion. www.coxautoinc.com
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.