Executive Editor, Elemental
- Full Time
Medium’s mission is to help people deepen their understanding of the world and discover ideas that matter. We are building a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers. We are creating the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas.
Medium is expanding its editorial team. We are looking for a critical, high-level addition to the editorial staff of our publication focused on science-backed health and wellness—an executive editor who will work closely with the editor-in-chief in growing and evolving Elemental as a brand, developing a robust editorial calendar, and building a strong talent pool to contribute to the publication. The executive editor will oversee the Elemental staff in daily, weekly and monthly story planning and commissioning and will spearhead big editorial projects. She or he should have excellent taste and superior storytelling skills, a record of bringing in phenomenal stories by excellent writers, and real passion for seeking out undiscovered and emerging voices.
We want someone who has a keen eye for emerging trends and ideas in health and its related fields, and who can ask the right questions to guide coverage across diverse topic areas, from nutrition and fitness to neuroscience and psychedelics. You have experience leading coverage, have a Rolodex of writers and editors you’d love to work with, and are ready to get your hands dirty (and have fun!) building something new. You also know the competitive landscape of health and wellness publications, have great ideas about how to stand apart, and offer coverage that’s well-reported, thoughtful, and makes readers smarter.
Medium isn’t where readers will find aggregation or “study of the day” write-ups. Instead, we’re looking for stories that will reach and resonate with a broad audience, one that’s interested in enjoying their healthiest life, and wants reliable, nuanced coverage on how to do it.
What will you do?
- Oversee the publication of several stories per day, from timely analysis and explainers to long-form features; oversee publication coverage on a daily, weekly, and monthly cadence
- Bring in established writers while also identifying emerging writers who should be writing for us
- Help to inform, establish and execute our editorial calendar
- Pitch ambitious ideas and projects to raise Elemental’s profile
- Provide critical support to the EIC, in terms of staffing, processes, and more
- Liaise with design on the visual execution of special projects
- Work with staff members and writers on story packaging, including display copy
- Bring new ideas to work every single day, and to every story-planning meeting
Who are you?
- You have 10+ years of editing experience, at least some in health-focused journalism, ideally with several years managing writers and/or editors
- You are comfortable working in a startup environment, where speed, flexibility and experimentation are part of the day-to-day
- You are passionate about great storytelling and accuracy in covering and explaining medical research to the layperson
- You are a strong editor who’s a stickler for top-tier editorial standards and quality prose
- You are organized and forward-thinking, ready to anticipate opportunities and troubleshoot problems
- You have a stable of writers as well as the ability to identify and solicit extraordinary writers who are not yet known
- You are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
Sound like you? We'd love to hear from you.
This role is based in New York.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun and challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media.
Medium is an equal opportunity employer.