Editorial Assistant, Political Science
- Full Time
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking a print Editorial Assistant to support the Editor for college textbooks in political science.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Management of manuscripts in all stages of production – Sending manuscript to be reviewed by college instructors. Preparing manuscript for copyediting and production. Checking art manuscript and creating photo logs for manuscript.
- Project Management – Maintain schedules and deadlines as set by editorial managers. Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities. Maintaining records to editorial standards.
- Professional customer and author relationship management – Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages (including relaying messages with a sense of urgency).
- Document management – Emailing, scanning, faxing, copying, and printing. Organizing and maintaining files.
- Data Management – Extracting data from internal web-based information portals. Aggregating data from various sources. Information gathering and following up.
- Assist editorial director with department-wide tasks – The editorial assistant in Political Science will also assist the College Department’s editorial director with certain administrative tasks related to Norton’s college list.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Must be able to work full business hours from Norton’s New York City headquarters.
- Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills.
- Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
- Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
- Must be proactive, flexible, and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
- Must be self-directed and independent.
- Must have excellent time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects.
- Must be very detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
- A passion for publishing and the ambition to succeed in the field is strongly preferred.
- A background and interest in political science is preferred but not required.
- Mastery of email and calendar management tools, specifically Outlook.
- Strength with MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel is a must.
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with W. W. Norton is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, age, color, sex, religion, veteran status, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the human resource manager.