Digital Media Coordinator
- Full Time
The Brookings Institution
Equal-Opportunity Employer: It is Brookings policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all of its employees and applicants without regard to their actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, citizenship status, family responsibilities, gender identity or expression, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, veteran status, or any other prohibited basis of discrimination as required by law.
Digital Media Coordinator (Job ID: 2019-2205)
Job ID: 2019-2205
Type: Regular, Introductory
# of Openings: 1
Join one of the most influential, most quoted and most trusted think tanks!
The Brookings Institution is a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to conduct in-depth research that leads to new ideas for solving problems facing society at the local, national and global level.
We bring together leading experts in government and academia from all over the world, rooted in open-minded inquiry and representing diverse points of view, who provide the highest quality research, policy recommendations, and analysis. Research topics cover a full range of public policy issues in economics, foreign policy, development, governance and metropolitan policy.
With fair and transparent business practices, clear communication, mutual respect, and a collaborative atmosphere that offers both professional and personal development opportunities, Brookings offers an inclusive and welcoming workplace that values the efforts of all contributors.
The Economic Studies program analyzes current and emerging economic issues facing the United States and the world and, based on that research, provides innovative, practical policy recommendations. ES's work covers a broad array of economic issues, including the labor market, economic and financial regulation, health policy, inequality, social policy, and fiscal and monetary policy. Economic Studies scholars influence key economic policies by conducting rigorous and relevant research and then disseminating and communicating their findings to the policy community and to the broader public.
Ready to contribute to Brookings success?
The Digital Media Coordinator supports digital publishing, social media, website content and public event management support for Economic Studies (ES). Maintains all components of the ES website; manages the program's e-newsletters for broad and targeted audiences; provides ongoing strategic improvement of ES web content; coordinates regularly with the Brookings Communications Office.
Digital Content Management (65%)
- Coordinates scholarly research paper design production process and maintains editorial calendar of scholarly research content.
- Lays out and formats scholarly content, using InDesign or other software as appropriate; trains staff on layout process and standards.
- Works with ES Director of Communications and Central Communications to ensure adherence to scheduled releases.
- Create, update, and maintain all ES, center, and project content and web pages in accordance with Brookings website standards and consistent with ES's research and communications goals.
- Applies robust taxonomy set and other metadata to optimize content presentation on various parts of the ES and Brookings website.
- Recommends sound search engine optimization practices for all ES content published on website.
- Drafts teaser and summary language to accompany site content, in conjunction with research and communications team; selects accompanying photos.
- Improve the layout, look, and feel of content, and work with ES Director of Communications and Central Communications to ensure adherence to Brookings-wide site styling.
- Maintain and optimize scholar biographies on brookings.edu.
- Curate, edit, and publish ES newsletters including the Daily ESsential, and contribute to Brookings' internal and external messaging strategy to key stakeholders.
- Serves as ES liaison to Brookings web team by attending regular web coordinator and social media team meetings; keeps the VP and center directors informed of new features and issues of concern; coordinates with other programs.
- Maintains proficiency in HTML, SEO practices, online newsletter creation and other online communications applications and standards (e.g., participates in training sessions, learns new software applications to further develop skills).
- Raise visibility of ES content by optimizing digital assets including blog posts, video, audiograms, and infographics.
- Copyedit blog posts, summaries, media pitches, and selected reports.
Social Media (25%)
- Implement ES's social media outreach plans on Twitter and Instagram, including daily promotion, event-based live Tweeting, and long-term audience-building campaigns.
- Elevate and track the presence of ES scholars across social media channels.
- Maintain core audiences within ES's current best practices and pitch creative methods to expand core audiences.
- Help create social media toolkits for ES program staff and scholars, which include key instructions, handles, hashtags, sample Tweets, and graphics.
Communications Strategy and Support (10%)
- With oversight from Director of Communications, implement effective strategic communications and outreach plans for scholars and their research.
- Contribute to the overall ES content strategy set by the Director of Communications.
- Support Events Manager and ES events by conducting research to identify stakeholders and participants, targeting invitees, and following up with questions.
- With oversight from the Media Relations Manager, monitor media coverage for resident and non-resident scholars.
Ready to make an impact? In this role, you will support Brookings values of collegiality, respect, inclusion, diversity and community, and bring the following qualifications:
Bachelor's degree required. Minimum three years of related experience including web site content management and social media management required. Writing, editing or proofreading experience preferred; experience in policy or educational environment desirable. Must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.
What can we offer you? Brookings provides a generous benefit package that is comprehensive and includes both traditional benefits and unique offerings.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
Brookings is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law.