- Full Time
Radio Free Asia (RFA) is a private, Washington, DC-based, nonprofit corporation that provides accurate and timely news and information to Asian countries whose governments prohibit access to a free press. Delivered in nine Asian languages in addition to English, our journalism extends beyond radio to include web, video, mobile and e-books. RFA is seeking a talented, forward-thinking, and experienced media professional with strong people leadership skills to oversee the design and visual presentation of online articles, media, and special features across all language-editions of RFA’s website as its Art Director. Based in RFA’s Washington, DC, headquarters, this position will report directly to RFA’s Executive Editor/VP of Programming.
- Working with RFA leadership to define, guide, steward, and evolve RFA’s overall aesthetics, branding, and visual presentation of its website, specific stories, and special projects, as well as other vehicles for RFA’s branding.
- Attending editorial meetings and, in collaboration with RFA’s editorial management, assessing the visual potential of stories using different storytelling techniques (videos, cartoons, photos, online articles, infographics, etc.).
- Helping conceive and design multimedia projects and content-oriented editorial design in the fast-paced environment of a newsroom, with high quality journalistic standards.
- Ensuring the consistent application of RFA’s style and branding guidelines across all parts of RFA’s website, apps and social media, including news pages, special/multimedia projects, infographics and data visualizations, animations, and social media posts.
- Overseeing the development of animations and graphics and motion graphics packages for RFA’s video content.
- Leading RFA’s Multimedia/design team, including providing direct supervision and mentorship to individual team members and managing their workloads.
- Working with RFA’s Language Services to continually gather and respond to UI/UX feedback.
- Performing hands-on graphic and visual design work as a member of RFA’s design team.
- Staying current on advancements in tools and techniques relevant to various presentation and dissemination opportunities as they emerge.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Design.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience – including in UI/UX, multimedia projects, and editorial design – with online news media organizations.
- Strong portfolio of work examples required.
- A strong visual sense and attention to detail with ability to achieve superior design outcomes while working within limited budgets.
- An interest in news stories and a strong journalistic judgement to identify key messages in stories and to communicate them clearly using design techniques.
- Staff management experience preferred, with people skills and an ability to set priorities, manage schedules, and help a team of talented designers express their best potential in a deadline-oriented environment required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with strong professional proficiency in written and verbal English required; proficiency in one or more of RFA’s broadcast languages preferred.
- Passion for RFA’s mission.
RFA is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
RFA encourages all qualified individuals to apply. If hired, the candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the US as an employee of RFA. RFA reserves the right to reconsider or withdraw any offer of employment to any candidate whose authorization to work in the US as an employee of RFA, or extension of such authorization, would require RFA to file or support a petition or related documentation.
How to Apply
Submit portfolio (link to web-based portfolio preferred) along with résumé and cover letter with salary requirements via email to email@example.com referencing position of "Art Director" in subject line.
Apply for Art Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly