Associate, Web Developer
- Full Time
ABOUT THE RAINFOREST ALLIANCE:
We are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal.
The Rainforest Alliance works at the intersection of business, agriculture and forests. By bringing diverse allies together we are making deep-rooted change on some of our most pressing social and environmental issues. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people mitigate and adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways.
Our alliance needs you, whoever you are and wherever you stand. By joining forces with producers, businesses and consumers, we can transform our relationship with the land and forests we rely on. We can make that relationship work better for all.
Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The Associate, Web Developer participates in the creation, maintenance, and continuous expansion of the Rainforest Alliance’s public-facing websites and other digital products. He/She will be working alongside a digital team within communications at the intersection of user experience and function to produce positive digital experiences for Rainforest Alliance’s target audiences. In this role, design and computer programming skills will be utilized daily.
- Responsible for both back-end and front-end development, including keeping WordPress themes and plugins up to date;
- Customize child themes in WordPress, creating custom post types, and configuring taxonomies, plugins and widgets that meet project requirements;
- Contribute to the workflow, production, and sprints with both in-house and external developers and designers using an Agile-like methodology;
- Use and advocate for UX/UI best practices when implementing high-quality, innovative and intuitive designs;
- Optimize for usability and browser/device compatibility;
- Collaborate on defining requirements, setting priorities, and coding new web features/patterns that stay within Rainforest Alliance’s visual brand guidelines and are accessible to a digital audience;
- Run and ideate upon user tests to inform design decisions;
- Optimize graphics for the web and social media;
- Continually learn techniques and best practices for emerging web design, user experience and content strategy trends;
- Run technical plugin updates and enhancements that keep websites secure; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or technical degree in web programming;
- 3-5 years of website creation and maintenance experience;
- Experience with server-side CSS pre-processing platforms, such as LESS and SASS
- Demonstrated experience in theme development, responsive web design, trouble-shooting cross-browser and -platform issues, and working with content management systems, including Drupal and WordPress;
- Experience with WordPress genesis themes and front-end frameworks such as Bootstrap, Foundation, and Flexbox.
- Strong understanding of PHP back-end development
- Knowledge of using Gutenberg Block as well as creating custom blocks using ACF
- Proficient understanding and experience of code versioning tools, such as Git, source control procedures, feature branching and moving code between different environments
- Strong design skills with expertise in grid-based design, web typography, white space, balance, and color harmony;
- Experience with photo-editing software (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Sketch) and front-end design experience;
- Understanding of SEO principles.
- Experience with Moodle a plus;
- Experience working for a not-for-profit a plus;
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills;
- Must be extremely organized and able to work on multiple projects concurrently;
- Ability to work within a team structure as well as independently, be creative, take initiative and be very attentive to detail; and
- Spanish, French, German or Japanese language a plus.
Commensurate with experience.
Only candidates authorized to work in the US will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply online on ADP Workforce Now. Combine cover letter and resume as one single document and upload.