Clarkson Potter, the premiere publisher of 4-color illustrated lifestyle, cooking, design and gift products, seeks a talented and high-energy Designer. The Clarkson Potter Design team is a small and dedicated group who focus on the development of bespoke packaging for all books and gift products. This position requires imagination, curiosity, passion, and strong design skills. We are a highly collaborative group and we love what we do!
This role will require you to utilize many different resources to help influence your design and we’re always focusing on the product’s intended customer base, whilst simultaneously looking to attract newer customers. Given our strong presence in the market, we’re searching for someone whose attention to detail and organizational skills are at the forefront, in addition to the actual visuals you’ll design. This position will be working closely with the Art Director for Gift.
Many of our books and products are extensions of existing properties or brands, but we also develop titles that are more individualistic and/or spring from in-house content development. Our content ranges from Children’s to YA and Adult categories, and includes authors and licensors such as: Dungeons & Dragons, Marvel, the New York Botanical Garden, Emily Winfield Martin, Raina Telgemeier, Michelle Obama, Mari Andrews, and Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.
* Develop complete package and book designs from concept to completion for assigned titles under guidance of the Art Director, including but not limited to guided journals, puzzles, games, note cards, and gift books
* Create digital mockups and design mood boards for various internal and external presentations
* Research existing product and gift categories, retail audiences, and trends in the marketplace as a tool for positioning design development
* Create new assets based on existing licensed art programs to extend brand visuals and develop highly cohesive product suites
* Participate in brainstorming sessions related to content and product research & development
* Collaborate with outside Illustrators, Photographers, and Designers
* Print, route, and manage the schedules of projects delivered by out-of-house freelancers as requested by the Art Director
* Assist the Art Director in gathering project assets to send to out-of-house freelance support
* Work closely with the Production Department on all assigned titles to review and correct color art and to ensure quality control of package construction and printing.
* 3+ years of 4c illustrated book, stationery, and/or product design experience
* Openness to working on both licensed books and product in addition to titles that require new art development
* Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud (including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat) and Microsoft Office programs
* Familiarity working with InDesign style sheets
* Illustration and hand-lettering experience is a plus
* Experience working with licensed art programs is a plus
* Ability to be a team player and to work independently
* Strong sense of urgency and the ability to juggle multiple projects
* Excellent organizational, computer, and communication skills (required)
* Experience with 4 color printing/pre-press file preparation
* Strong attention to detailPenguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.