Senior National Coordinator of Communications and Media
- Full Time
I. Overview of Teach Plus
Teach Plus is dedicated to the mission of empowering excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that advance equity, opportunity, and student success. Since 2009, Teach Plus has developed thousands of teacher leaders across the country to exercise their leadership in shaping education policy and improving teaching and learning, to create an education system driven by access and excellence for all.
II. Position Responsibilities
At Teach Plus, strong, effective communications is a key part of our mission. As Senior National Coordinator of Communications and Media, you will join a vibrant, creative team focused on maximizing positive visibility of Teach Plus and Teach Plus teacher leaders in earned and on social media, and on building Teach Plus’ leadership platform with policy makers, influencers, funders, the press, and the public at-large.
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications and Media, you will work closely with Senior Website and Digital Media Coordinator on a range of communications products and collaborate with members of Teach Plus national and regional teams. The Senior National Coordinator of Communications and Media will have the following primary responsibilities:
- Act as lead social media communicator with Teach Plus key audiences, including teachers, policymakers, and education influencers.
- Grow engagement on Teach Plus social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and other) through consistent, informative, and innovative audience outreach, and through creative social media campaigns.
- Continually monitor all relevant news, research, and partner resources and refresh social media platforms accordingly.
Earned Media and Media Outreach
- Research media outlets, and create and update national and regional media lists on an ongoing basis.
- Collaborate with Vice President of Communications and Media on media strategy and outreach around Teach Plus written products and news.
Content Generation and Edit
- Act as lead content creator of the weekly NewsBlast and collaborate on content development for the Teach Plus blog.
- Edit teacher bios and collaborate on edits of teacher-written op-eds and external products in Teach Plus’ communications portfolio, including Annual Report, research reports, and policy briefs.
- Project manage production of research reports, policy briefs, and other written materials from national and regional teams.
- Keep social media, earned media, and library of hits up to date.
- Manage communication between national and regional teams to ensure a steady flow of information for the Newsblast.
- Support overall communications effort, including coordination with like-minded organizations, event support, and other communications needs.
Teach Plus is seeking a candidate with minimum two years of experience in the field of PR and communications. A successful candidate will have these qualities:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and a passion for writing.
- Experience working with trade and consumer media and a track record of pitching and placing stories. Agency experience a plus.
- Experience conceptualizing and executing effective social media campaigns.
- Exemplary editing and proofreading skills.
- Strong project management and organizational skills. Attention to detail and ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Passion for transforming K-12 education. Strong interest in education coverage and education policy news.
- Comfort working in a highly entrepreneurial environment, including working and collaborating remotely, and the willingness to be flexible.
- Optimistic, creative, and solutions-oriented.
- Comfort with technology preferred. Knowledge of Salesforce, Campaign Monitor, and Cision/Meltwarter media databases a plus.
We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job with the potential to develop and succeed with coaching and support. We recognize that such a candidate may have a less traditional background or have different kinds of relevant experience. We encourage you to apply, even if you don't believe you meet every one of our qualifications described.
IV. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
V. Our Culture
At Teach Plus, we are driven by our mission and our core values are a driving force behind everything we do: Leadership, Diversity and Equity, Solutions-orientation, Joy, Integrity in Practice, and Collaboration. We love what we do and we work hard to make a difference for teachers and students. We are smart, passionate, and engaged with one another. We are thought partners, collaborators, and constant learners.
VI. Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. This position offers a full benefits package to include medical and dental insurance, retirement, disability, and generous vacation benefits.
VII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here.
The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of the candidate’s interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/327966