- Full Time
The Motley Fool is looking for curious and passionate writers who can inspire our members and prospects to act. Our products are designed to help investors of all levels improve their financial futures. We also believe that investing guidance should not stem from a ‘one size fits all’ mindset.
So we are looking for Marketing Copywriters to help us make the world smarter, happier, and richer by joining us in the following areas of our growing business:
- Acquisition: Building trust and awareness surrounding our Foolish company with new members and prospects .
- Retention: Helping members invest in market-beating stocks for the long term and staying members with us for as long as possible.
- Millionacres: Educating and exciting prospects about the potential returns and unfair advantages inherent in real estate investing, and motivating them to take action by joining our premium solutions.
Here’s the problem: finances can be a scary topic—and it’s much easier to delay action than to put a plan together today. So as a Marketing Copywriter, your job is to inspire our members and prospects to stop waiting—and to start taking steps towards financial independence, right this minute.
This is an exciting opportunity for up-and-coming copywriters to become an expert in direct response marketing while helping us grow our business.
What You’ll Be Doing
As a Marketing Copywriter you will be measured by the response your copy generates—not the beauty of your copy. We don’t care if you split infinitives —we care if you inspire action.
Your primary day to day responsibilities include:
- Developing Big Ideas for our marketing campaigns; working with the investment team on the strategy, and with the creative and product teams on the implementation.
- Collaborating with designers and fellow copywriters to provide constructive feedback on all creative content before live testing.
- Testing new variations on control creative to keep it performing at maximum levels. Relentlessly.
- Researching individual stocks, macro-economic and country related themes, and consumer trends.
- Contributing to the creative needs of multiple channels including emails, display ads, text placements, landing pages, order pages, microsites... and others we haven’t thought of yet because you don’t work here yet.
- You’re naturally curious—you’ll need to be able to research and write about topics you previously knew almost nothing about.
- You’re empathetic—in order to inspire a person to act, you need to be able to see the world through their eyes—and understand what motivates them.
- You’re open-minded—when your intuitions conflict with the data—you change your intuitions.
- You enjoy working as part of a team.
The role doesn’t have any specific education or experience requirements— we have found successful copywriters from a wide variety of backgrounds.
That being said, the successful candidate will be able to provide evidence of persuasive writing ability—examples could include sales copy, or a persuasive blog post, or just an email to grandma convincing her to share her secret chocolate chip cookie recipe with you.
The successful candidate will also not be afraid of research. The best marketing ideas do not magically appear—rather they are found through digging in and researching the topic.
If this sounds like you, please submit your resume plus a brief persuasive writing sample in lieu of (or in addition to) your cover letter.
More about the persuasive writing sample:
In addition to your resume please provide a brief writing sample (500ish words). The sample can either be an example of your ad copy, or a new piece, on any topic, persuading us to take action.