Senior Editor, Picture Books
- Full Time
School Library Journal (SLJ), the leading trade magazine serving school and public youth services librarians, seeks a full-time senior editor for the reviews team, with a focus on coverage of picture books. This individual will be responsible for:
· Serving as the thought leader on trends in picture books and other early learning materials, and their adoption and use in libraries
· Representing SLJ at industry events and publishing previews, and via publisher meetings
· Assigning and editing approximately 100 reviews of picture books/board books/beginning readers per month
· Working closely with reviewers, including selecting starred reviews and serving as the Best Picture Books committee chair
· Assigning and editing several thematic review roundups each year
· Serving as the assigning editor on at least three collection development articles and author interviews each year
· Contributing to events such as Day of Dialog and/or virtual conferences as needed
· Contributing to SLJ’s editorial calendar planning and development
· Editing and/or proofreading various articles for print and web as required
The Senior Editor, Picture Books, will report to the Reviews Director and will work closely with the editorial reviews and news teams. The candidate must be a creative, confident communicator, self-directed, and comfortable in a fast-paced work environment that requires meticulous attention to detail, able to juggle multiple deadlines.
Requirements include a degree in English, journalism, or another relevant field; at least six years of editorial experience, working at a high level, assigning articles and collaborating with contributors and colleagues; and knowledge of children’s literature and/or early learning, particularly picture books and/or works for young readers.
A Master’s in Library Science and/or library experience is a plus. The ideal candidate will also be familiar with common editing tools and have a high comfort level with technology and social media platforms.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short and long term disability insurance, and 401K with a generous company match. Excellent time off package and paid day off to volunteer.
School Library Journal is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.