Digital Art Director
- Full Time
The New Republic is seeking a detail-oriented art director for TNR.com. The ideal candidate has a strong digital background in art direction and products—and experience working across digital platforms in a fast-paced office. This position reports to the Digital Director and is based in New York.
- Works closely with the Digital Director and Executive Editor to design innovative features that satisfy the digital strategy.
- Oversees the daily visual articulation of TNR.com, assuring that artwork and page structures adhere to our style guide.
- Oversees all phases of creative projects on TNR.com, from concept through production, collaborating with two product developers to develop editorial features and tools, keeping in mind users in everything you do.
- Oversees and designs user experiences for the website, mobile app, and social media platforms.
- Creates Photoshop comps and provides functional/design requirements.
- Manages one front-end developer.
- Maintains a style book and enforces consistent design systems and standards across all digital platforms.
- Collaborates with the magazine’s Design Director and Managing Editor to produce print-to-web features and establish efficient production systems.
- Commissions original artwork within a tight monthly budget.
- Together with the Digital Director, roadmaps projects, ensuring clear communication among all stakeholders on a project’s needs and benchmarks.
Skills & Qualifications:
- 4+ years experience in digital design, preferably in media. At least 2+ years of UX art direction experience.
- Ability to blend good design with user habits to develop innovative content experiences and improve user experience.
- Understanding of HTML, CSS, and JS.
- Proven management skills that demonstrate the success of your team and work.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Cross-platform understanding of latest trends and best practices in editorial design.
- Demonstrated fluency with design tools, such as InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere, Sketch, and Invision Home Studio (a plus).
To apply, please submit your résumé, five examples of the digital work you’ve created or produced, and a cover letter explaining why you’re right for this job. Only candidates who submit cover letters and work samples will be considered.
The New Republic is committed to diversity and encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, LGBTQ people, people of color, people with criminal records, veterans and people with disabilities.