Production Editor, Random House
Random House seeks a production editor to join its team. This individual will be working closely with the editorial, design, and production groups; responsible for handling approximately 25–30 original and conversion titles per year from manuscript to bound book/ePub, across many genres, from popular and literary fiction to biographies, memoirs, history, sports, self-help, current affairs, business, and religion.
Specific responsibilities include:
* hiring freelance copy editors, proofreaders, and indexers and reviewing their work, including clearing manuscripts post-copyediting and collating changes from authors and freelancers in page proofs
* coding/tagging manuscripts for design and composition
* copyediting jacket/cover copy and proofreading jackets/covers, captions, and additional material
* collaborating on and maintaining book schedules
Please apply if you meet the following minimum requirements:
* 3–5 years’ experience as a trade book production editor
* intimate familiarity with Chicago Manual and/or Words into Type style, and general facility with modern copyediting style
* familiarity with electronic copyediting, using Microsoft Word
* be a team player (but also a solid independent worker) who is flexible; has strong analytical, copyediting, and organizational skills; is exceptionally detail-oriented; is able to set and meet deadlines; is capable of rising to a challengePenguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.