Assistant, Book Production- Random House
Posted: 12/6/2019 | Expires: 1/5/2020
Location: New York, New York
Function: Writing & Editing
Level: Experienced (Non-Manager)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Book Production Assistant, Random House
Founded in 1925, Random House is the proud publishing house of the world’s most acclaimed storytellers, thought leaders, and innovators. Our host of imprints—including Ballantine, Bantam, Broadway, Crown, Currency, Convergent, Delacorte, Del Rey, The Dial Press, Hogarth, The Modern Library, One World, Random House, Tim Duggan Books, and Waterbrook/Multnomah—publish original fiction and nonfiction in all formats with the mission to entertain, educate and inspire readers for generations.
We are currently seeking a Production Assistant to join the Random House production department. This position provides an opportunity to support the VP, Director of Production and a busy department while handling responsibilities which may include:
- Sending packages to vendors and freelancers, setting up meetings, making travel arrangements, preparing T&E reports, assisting in projects as needed.
- Reviewing and distributing of book samples. Will help maintain our library of sample copies.
- Updating vendor phone lists and calendars.
- Using information from SAP and MyHouse, compiling and distributing production schedules, spreadsheets, and other reports.
- Updating data in SAP and FileMaker as required.
- Under minimal supervision, will handle the archiving and retrieving of digital assets, transmittal of materials to the eBook production team.
- Order and track the production of physical bound galleys.
- Will provide support and back-up to the members of the production as needed.
- Computer proficiency essential (MAC skills highly desirable) with working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point).
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) and FileMaker Pro extremely helpful.
- Candidate must be personable, energetic, and attentive to detail, highly organized, flexible, and able to juggle multiple tasks and successfully prioritize them.
- Strong interpersonal skills, excellent communication, time-management, and organizational skills required for this fast-paced environment
- Interest in learning the nuts and bolts of book production essential, as well as the ability to work well with numbers.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience, preferably in publishing, project management, or a graphic arts-related field.
Salary for this position is $40,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program, please include your cover letter and resume.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.