Social Media Lead / Digital Media Producer
Location: San Diego, California
Function: Marketing & Communications
Specialty: Digital Marketing, Web Production
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Ensure that NBC 7 and Telemundo 20 San Diego social media accounts are engaging and timely sources of breaking news Lead NBC 7 and Telemundo 20’s social media and engagement efforts by working with and training staff (on-air, off-air and online) to use social media tools to monitor and report news, find sources and leads for stories.Gather, edit, package and publish local news content – focusing on (but not limited to) News, Weather and Traffic – on NBC7.comWrite text articles, publish video and edit image galleries according to local editorial “voice”Produce and edit dedicated social video to maximize audience reach and enhance visual presentation Serve as a top advocate for social media in the newsroomOversee monitoring of mainstream and social media for story ideas and competitive intelligence. Identify buzz-worthy stories of the day using data and metrics available and communicate during daily news meetingsEnforce editorial style guides, standards, and practicesPromote and aggregate NBC 7 San Diego journalists (on-air and online), serve as a recognized expert within the industry on social media topics, and build NBC 7 and Telemundo 20 San Diego’s brand on social networksMonitor and respond as the dominant voice of NBC 7 Social channels, including NBC 7 San Diego YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat, Twitter, Pinterest & LinkedIn among others Work closely with Marketing, Promotions, & Community on various promotions and initiativesLaunch Social promotions on a regular basis to engage and grow followingThink pro-actively and coordinate with promotions, marketing, and on-air to create promotional assets driving audience to social channels, website, apps and on-air
• Excellent news instincts with the ability to react decisively to breaking news; combined with the ability to write succinctly and with flair
• Advanced social media knowledge and skill set including understanding of YouTube, Facebook, SnapChat, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Linked-In and other comparable up and coming social medial channels.
• Ability to work on multiple tasks and stories simultaneously in a fast paced environment
• Experience in visual journalism, including video production, GIFs, data visualization and infographics
• Aptitude for discovering and producing strong visual and written social media content.
• Ability to transition breaking news and developing stories into dynamic social media content.
• Act as a training advocate and facilitator to ensure that staff is properly using social media tools. Experience of working in content management systems required.
• At least 3 years’ experience as web or digital media editor and/or social media lead in print, online or television news environment (medium to large sized market experience desired)
• Flexible, with willingness to undertake shift work associated with working for a 24/7 news operation
• Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism or related field.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office tools such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
• Demonstrated knowledge of AP Style writing and guidelines
• Prior supervisory/delegation experience preferred.
• Fluency in English to native standard.
• Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through the www.nbcunicareers.com site
• Internal applicants must submit via myNBCU Careers
• Must be willing to work in San Diego
• Must be 18 years or greater
• Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
• Must have ability to work any of a 24x7 shift
• Must accept Solutions, NBCUniversal’s Dispute resolution program
• Knowledge of San Diego city and regions
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.