Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Job Title: Associate or Senior Editor, Nature Computational Science
Location: New York, London or Berlin
Nature Computational Science is a new journal from Nature Research that will launch in January 2021. The journal will publish exceptional research on the development of new computational techniques, methodologies, algorithms and tools, and their application to address problems across a range of scientific disciplines. It will provide a high visibility publishing venue for authors who work across the boundaries of scientific computing, mathematics, and the natural sciences, providing readers with a complete overview of the latest advances in computational science.. Like other Nature Research titles, Nature Computational Science will publish reviews, News and Views and commentaries, creating a forum that will help accelerate the cross disciplinary application of new computational techniques and approaches. The journal will champion reproducibility through code peer review, as well as code and data sharing.
We are now looking to recruit two editors to join the editorial team. We would also be interested in applicants with an understanding of industrial research and/or an interest in exploring the wider implications of new technology and their impact on society. Applicants should have a PhD and preferably postdoctoral experience, with a strong track record in research relevant to the fields covered in the journal and listed above. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will be considered for a Senior Editor position.
The successful candidates will report to the Chief Editor of the journal and will each play an important role in determining the representation of their subject in the journal. They will handle original research papers submitted from all over the world, and work closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review. They will also be involved in the commissioning and editing of Review, Comment, and News & Views articles, as well as writing for the journal.
These are demanding and intellectually stimulating positions. Broad scientific knowledge and training, excellent literary skills, and a keen interest in the practice and communication of science and technology are prerequisites. The successful candidates must be dynamic and outgoing, and have excellent interpersonal skills. A key aspect of the job is liaising with the research community through laboratory visits and international conferences, and therefore a willingness to travel is essential.
The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis, and will be located in our New York, London or Berlin offices. Candidates should already have the right to live and work in the location for which they apply.
Applications should include the following:
1. A cover letter telling us who you are and why you want to become a full-time Nature Electronics journal editor. Please also mention your salary expectations.
2. A CV detailing your education, relevant employment history, list of published research papers, and any other achievements that you feel demonstrate your suitability for the position.
3. A Research Highlight (of around 250 words) in the style of Nature Electronics (see https://www.nature.com/natelectron) on a peer-reviewed research paper that has caught your attention recently. The paper you highlight should not be from your own (or previous) research group, but should be on a topic that you find interesting (and may even wish to learn more about). The highlight should explain the significance and implications of the research to someone who is not a specialist in the subject.
The closing date for applications is 6 January 2020
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.