Business Intelligence Developer
- Full Time
Business Intelligence Developer
Team: Business Intelligence Group
Status: Full-time/Exempt/Project (Funded by a grant for up to 3-years)
The Data Strategy and Operations team is charged with ensuring that data about PBS programs and audience is collected efficiently, reported accurately and closely aligned to specific business needs. As a Business Intelligence Developer you will join a team of professionals committed to delivering the data needed to empower a culture of decision-making that informs PBS’s priorities and advances its mission to educate, inspire and entertain.
This role will serve as the primary technical resource for the Business Intelligence group. They will be in charge of defining, building and maintaining key data pipelines that feed into a variety of data products used by clients from across the company and the nation. The Developer will be in charge of working with different internal groups, vendors and partners to identifying and obtain access to data sources. They will use that access to build automated processes (i.e. pipelines) that ingest and transform raw data into datasets that can be used to build visualizations, dashboards and analysis tools. Once these pipelines are built the developer will monitor them for data integrity and make incremental improvements to improve efficiency and performance and to reduce cost. This is a new position so we are looking for somebody who will be comfortable building a program from scratch with a keen focus on process, documentation and operational efficiency.
Essential duties will include, but not limited to:
- Work with team members and key stakeholders to define deliverables, make estimates of effort, identify potential issues and propose timing for projects.
- Design and create functional/technical specifications for efficient data models
- Design and build custom “extract, transform, load” (ETL) data pipelines from multiple large data sources that result in concise data sets for business intelligence source tables.
- Build custom connections from key API data sources.
- Crafting and executing queries for data from databases and data warehouses upon request. When necessary scheduling/automating those jobs for the future.
- Take an ownership role over the collection of accurate and clean data. Identify and manage data quality or integrity issues within the pipelines.
- Modify existing solutions as necessary and continually evaluating their effectiveness and efficiency. Maintaining an enterprise business intelligence library and support the archiving of unused solutions.
- Analyze BI infrastructure and technical issues to identify and implement new technologies that align with BI roadmap and make the system more flexible and scalable.
- Support the process of data discovery by exploring and cultivating impactful data sets
- Serve as liaison between the Business Intelligence and internal technical teams (IT, Digital Products, Technology and Operations) to ensure that enterprise product roadmaps include and deliver features and data needed for the BI roadmap
- Assist with training and knowledge transfer of Business Intelligence Developer best practices to other staff members.
Requirements for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business intelligence or information systems technology preferred. An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
- Technical training on at least one Business Intelligence tool; Domo experience ideal.
- 2+ years of experience building ETL workflows or data pipelines using Business Intelligence tools.
- A deep understanding of API’s and how to obtain data from them.
- Expert knowledge of how to build custom data-connectors for Business Intelligence tools; especially Domo.
- Demonstrated knowledge of how to design and build automated Export, Transform, Load (“ETL”) processes or data pipelines.
- Advanced knowledge of data structures, data modeling and data management.
- Extensive experience with cloud data warehouses or relational/non-relational databases.
- Ability to build and optimize advanced SQL queries.
- Strong understanding of data privacy and data security best practices.
- A familiarity with Google Cloud Platform and BigQuery
- A familiarity with digital analytics data sets such as Google Analytics
- A deep desire to learn emerging skills and/or programming languages that improve Business Intelligence through automation.
- Ability to effectively prioritize work, staying focused on primary objectives and always seeking to leverage existing work.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented – obsessive about efficiency and documentation
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Women, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities