- Full Time
RFE/RL is looking for a writer/editor to cover news from its Washington, DC, bureau. The successful candidate will write and edit the evening portion (roughly 5 p.m.-1 a.m. EST) of the news file produced 24/7 by RFE/RL's English-language Central Newsroom. The file provides news items on a wide variety of regional and international developments for use on RFE/RL’s English-language platforms and in news programs and websites in 25 other languages. Our ideal candidate is a journalist with a solid background in news who is used to working quickly and accurately under tight deadlines and dealing with a wide variety of source material, including Russian-language content. He/she will have at least five years' experience in journalism, including substantial experience at a wire agency or comparable outlet. The successful candidate will report to the News Editor of RFE/RL's Central Newsroom in Prague.
- Take over responsibility for the news file from the evening editor in Prague. Without direct supervision, write news items based on material including original RFE/RL reporting, agency copy, live broadcasts, and social media.
- Make sure the file is comprehensive, up-to-date, and by the end of the shift looking forward to the upcoming day. It will contain engaging news items about RFE/RL's broadcast region, a vastly diverse area spanning from Eastern Europe to Pakistan's tribal regions, as well as the top international and U.S. news.
- Work closely with RFE/RL's language services, incorporating RFE/RL original reporting wherever possible in the news file.
- Post content to RFE/RL's English-language website and edit news items written by other Central Newsroom correspondents.
Journalism or related field
- Minimum five years’ journalism experience, including at a wire agency or comparable outlet.
- Knowledge of at least one country or region in RFE/RL’s coverage area
- Ability to work under pressure while juggling tight deadlines
- Ability to deliver quality, accurate products with minimal supervision
- English language (native), mandatory
- Russian language (advanced), preferred