Editorial Assistant – Riverhead Books
Penguin Random House is seeking an Editorial Assistant to provide editorial and administrative support to the Riverhead Books imprint. The Assistant will report to two executive editors, working closely with them on a range of literary fiction and nonfiction.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
* Helps editors track and evaluate submissions; writes reader’s reports and rejection letters; researches competitive titles and creates basic P&Ls on prospective titles.
* Reads projects under contract and provides editorial feedback to editors upon request.
* Helps shepherd projects and authors through the publication process, from acquisition to finished book, ensuring that authors and others have and provide needed materials in timely fashion.
* Drafts copy and information about titles for a variety of in-house and consumer-facing use; monitors and updates key information and metadata.
* Works closely with other departments (marketing, publicity, rights, sales) to provide needed materials and other assistance.
* Assists editors with mailings, expense reports, and other administrative tasks.
* Prior office experience or related internship preferred
* Excellent organizational skills
* Strong communication skills
* Strong writing skills
* Ability to think analytically
* Ability to multi-task
* Attentive to detail
* Strong follow-up skills
* Strong PC skills (Microsoft Word and Excel)
* Knowledge of social media
* Interest in and enthusiasm for book publishing, particularly adult nonfiction publishing
Salary for this position is $40,000. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program. Please apply using our online application process.Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children’s publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world. In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution. Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children’s Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others. More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/.