Seeking An Innovative Newsroom Leader To Join Us As Managing Editor
- Full Time
The Miami Times is currently seeking qualified candidates to apply for our Managing Editor opening. The position is at the core of our editorial department. This person will be responsible for conceiving and executing an editorial vision for our print and online operations that delivers robust, responsive, and balanced content across all of our distribution channels. This individual must first be curious, and smart. They should be an engaged citizen who is passionate about supporting our community’s growth and having pride in place. They must have the ability to understand the mindset of our audience and bring their voices into the conversation. Successful applicants will have an eagle editing eye, a nose for news, a solid understanding of best journalistic practices, a knack for audience engagement and an eye toward growth.
From an editorial content perspective, we want someone that can lead the charge on addressing real local issues, challenges and opportunities in a way that makes people always eager to see what The Miami Times is up to.
Organized and Detail Oriented │A Communications Expert │Be Curious and In-the-Know │Tech-Forward │Self-Motivated and Solutions Oriented│Responsive│Creative
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Able to effectively handle breaking news coverage, feature writing, and enterprise reporting.
- Develop and execute comprehensive print and digital content planning to support The Miami Times’ growth in the South Florida market.
- Oversee the hiring and supervision of freelance writers, photographers, and other necessary contractors.
- Recruit talent to support the needs of the department, with the goal of building a diverse editorial staff composed of skilled writers and editors working on both our print and digital platforms.
- Conduct regular editorial department meetings to discuss content planning.
- Build new and leverage existing local relationships to develop innovative editorial content and product ideas.
- Establish measurable goals and milestones for the department.
- Work cross-functionally with sales, production design, circulation, and operations teams to create conversations, content, and products that attract readers and advertisers.
- Demonstrate consistent, effective work habits; efficient time-management planning and ability to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field.
- 2 - 3 years of relevant experience.
- A strong writer’s voice and knowledge of AP Style, journalism ethics and laws.
- Knowledge of South Florida
- Availability for appearances at community events, meetings and long deadlines outside of traditional office hours
A little about us…
The Miami Times is the oldest and largest Black-owned media company in the southeast. Since its founding in 1923, the family-owned newspaper has been a leading voice for South Florida’s Black community, deftly covering important issues, ranging from politics to culture. Today, our dedicated team continues to further The Miami Times legacy, driven by a commitment to deliver comprehensive, thoughtful, and engaging journalism to our readers in print and online.
In 2019, for the second year in a row, The Miami Times took home the top honors from the National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA). The Times again claimed the title of the 'Best Black Newspaper in America' and secured the coveted John B. Russwurm trophy along with awards in 12 NNPA merit categories.
The Miami Times offers a competitive salary plus employee benefits including group health insurance, company profit-sharing plan, paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
When applying, please include your cover letter, resume, and at least three sample writing pieces.
DISCLAIMER: This is not an all-inclusive job description; therefore, management has the right to assign or reassign schedules, duties, and responsibilities to this job at any time.
As an equal opportunity employer, The Miami Times does not discriminate in hiring or the terms and conditions of employment because of an individual’s race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, citizenship or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. The Miami Times will consider the provision of reasonable accommodations to known physical or mental disabilities of otherwise qualified applicants to enable them to participate in our application process and to effectively perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would impose an undue financial or operational hardship.