Project manager (freelance)
NRDC is seeking a freelance Communications project manager to help organize and maintain workflow for the department’s Multimedia team, a group of creative professionals responsible for all visual content produced by the organization. *This is a term-limited, nine-month freelance position.
Under the guidance of the Content Management Director and also working closely with the Communications Production Manager and Multimedia Director, the successful candidate will oversee deadlines and manage the production of various multimedia projects, from video production to large-scale events tied to NRDC’s upcoming 50th anniversary. The freelance project manager will break down overarching timelines into manageable milestones and monitor process from ideation to the delivery of final assets.
The Multimedia team is responsible for a diverse set of deliverables from the photo, video, and design disciplines, so we’re looking for a multitasker who can easily transition from project to project frequently at any given time. The freelance project manager will coordinate production details that keep projects on task, including coordinating across teams and departments and ensuring multimedia production deadlines are met and assets are delivered on time.
The successful candidate must possess strong written and verbal communication skills and must be comfortable interacting with individuals at various professional levels inside and outside the organization. Event production experience and knowledge of video, photo, design, and editorial production a plus. This position is located in our New York City office.
The ideal candidate must be able to:
- Take overarching project deadlines and work out helpful, detailed task lists with realistic and achievable milestones that ensure the work happens successfully from start to finish.
- Contact stakeholders internally and externally to liaise about deadlines and final deliverables and to respond to any real-time adjustments in schedules.
- Work within NRDC’s internal project management software (Asana), including creating workspaces, task lists, and milestones; and assigning tasks.
- Direct all people involved in a project to ensure they are hitting their deadlines.
- Determine any roadblocks with creative production and work with appropriate team members to resolve issues.
- At least 3-4 years of project management experience, preferably in a creative environment or another nonprofit. Familiarity or basic knowledge of project management software, such as Asana.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal skills and be extremely detail-oriented.
- The ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks accurately and according to process.
- A high degree of proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, and Outlook; proficiency in Asana a plus.
- Interest in environmental issues preferred.