- Full Time
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a Programming Editor to coordinate and schedule content for WSJ products and to set the agenda for content 24 hours to 12 months ahead. This editor wields deft knowledge of digital storytelling, media and technology trends and the habits and interests of our current and future audiences to determine what planned articles should publish when, with what emphases and what visuals and promotion. You will prepare a daily program designed to get our coverage in front of the widest possible appropriate audience.
The Programming Editor works closely with the Chief News Editor and with editors responsible for planning in each news coverage area, as well as with the editors of weekend, features and enterprise.
You will be in continuous conversation with the Programming Strategy Editor in the Strategy team about story and multimedia placements, but you will be focused on the operations and communications of the Journal’s programming. This separation in duties -- strategic vs. operational -- allows our Programming Editor to focus on the daily ongoing work and communications that we need to do to maximize the impact of our coverage.
This role is based in New York and reports to the Chief News Editor. You will work very closely with the leadership across video, audio, visuals, digital platforms, enterprise, weekend sections, special reports and the coverage areas.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Change how the newsroom thinks about digital programming
- With Chief News Editor, execute the medium- and long-term journalism strategy for The Wall Street Journal on all platforms. Uphold our values and mission as well as audience-centric quality standards and ideals for continually iterative creative storytelling on all platforms.
- Work as a partner with the Programming Strategy Editor on a daily basis to learn and iterate based on audience and news data as well as journalism imperatives and to develop an understanding of new digital capabilities as they are refined by the Strategy team.
- Utilize the best content practices and evangelize for them among Coverage Chiefs and the broader newsroom.
- Collaborate with the Programming Strategy Editor who will lead coaching the coverage chiefs and their deputies on creative coverage planning, multimedia and multiplatform topic preparation and innovative storytelling. Work with the Programming Strategy Editor to monitor progress.
Build and execute on plans
- With coverage leaders and heads of features sections: Define coming news events and opportunities for advance plans, and ensure that each coverage team is properly planning and executing them.
- Set up the process and ensure continuing communication and coordination among all parties.
- Constantly coordinate ideas, developments, plans throughout the day with the Chief News Editor.
- Daily, present a program for the coming 24 hours to the Editor in Chief, Deputy Editor in Chief and Chief News Editor.
- With the Programming Strategy Editor, create a consolidated 12-month plan and agreements on six-month, monthly and weekly plans with the coverage areas.
- Set daily and weekly priorities for story flow, short-term visual, video and audio resources and priorities for our placements on our platforms and social channels.
- Plan special sections and special reports tied to news events and opportunities, as distinguished from the regular calendar of Special Reports.
- Inspire our journalists to produce their best work on all platforms.
- Contribute by attitude, example and encouragement to a culture of creativity, enthusiasm, motivation, ownership and professionalism.
- Motivate the staff to consistently produce high-quality work.
- Contribute to the shaping and management of staff-development programs.
- Deep understanding of the brand values and mission of The Wall Street Journal and how our journalism should be selected and presented in line with those values.
- Strong news judgment, informed by our coverage priorities.
- Deep understanding of our audiences, and how to use insight research and analytics to continually refine this understanding.
- At home in digital media environments. Solid grasp of video as a content format.
- Full and evolving knowledge of best practices for digital content -- SEO, promotion, etc.
- Interest in exploring how to select and present the best, most relevant journalism in all formats.
- Understanding of modern and innovative journalism and storytelling techniques.
- Lead and inspire our journalism team to come up with ideas.
- Excellent communication skills. Know how to delegate, brief and give constructive feedback.
- Sound organizational abilities: setting agendas, managing projects, forward planning for the coming days.
- Innovative and creative thinker, leader and manager.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 19601