News Producer, WTKR
- Full Time
WTKR/WGNT, the CBS/CW duopoly in Norfolk, VA is looking for a creative, visionary producer with a proven track record. If you are a newsroom leader looking for a challenging opportunity, then this is the place for you. We’re not looking for a show stacker, we’re looking for a person who will bring a daily vision for their newscasts and a clear plan on how they’re going to deliver on that vision.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Develop and organize newscasts; responsible for writing, story development and showcasing
- Works closely with reporters, anchors, news managers and assignment editors to determine content needs
- Enhance content of the rundown with graphics, video, research and station branding
- Execute time sensitive decisions
- Responsible for oversight of live broadcast and up to the minute editorial decisions
- Post content to station's web site and social media platforms
- Perform other duties as assigned and needed
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, related field or experience preferred
- 1 year minimum experience as a television writer or producer
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Must be proficient with newsroom computer systems, MS Office a plus
- Excellent conversational and creative writing skills
- Must have strong communication and organization skills
- Adaptable, self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws
- Understand and utilize web analytics
- Deadline driven and fast-paced environment
The E.W. Scripps Company (NASDAQ: SSP) advances understanding of the world through journalism. As the nation's fourth-largest independent TV station owner, Scripps operates 60 television stations in 42 markets. Scripps empowers the next generation of news consumers with its multiplatform news network Newsy and reaches growing audiences through broadcast networks including Bounce and Court TV. Shaping the future of storytelling through digital audio, Scripps owns top podcast company Stitcher and Triton, the global leader in technology and measurement services. Scripps runs an award-winning investigative reporting newsroom in Washington, D.C., and is the longtime steward of the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Founded in 1878, Scripps has held for decades to the motto, "Give light and the people will find their own way."
As an equal employment opportunity employer, The E.W. Scripps Company and its affiliates do not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis on race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the company will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship for the company.