An FX Artist designs and creates elements and effects for the look of a film. An FX artist may also develop systems for use across the show or for specific sequences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:Design and create images, elements, and effects (such as fire, smoke, water, destruction, magic, etc).Work with other artists, the FX head, VFX supervisor, and the director to achieve the art directed goals.Efficiently execute systems developed by other FX Artists and propagate/improve them in production shots.Offer solutions to meet production's creative and/or technical requirements.Ability to multitask, understand priorities, and hit deadlines.Ability to work independently on assignments and be proactive to show/department needs.Mentor and assist other artists in effects work and other computer graphics techniques.Stay abreast of current technologies and offer ideas to implement them effectively.Strong communication skills, interact professionally with others, respectful and punctual in meetings.
- 2+ years of production experience involving simulations of natural phenomenon, particle systems, procedural modeling, procedural animation, and other similar effects. Experience in feature-length animation or live-action VFX production pipeline desirable.
- Solid understanding of software like Houdini, Nuke, or similar 3D packages for use in particle systems, fluid simulation, rigid bodies, procedural geometry and compositing.
- Education in animation/graphics/computer science/VFX (or equivalent) program; traditional artistic training a plus.
- Must have strong visual and problem-solving skills.
- A good visual understanding of physical dynamics and natural phenomena along with a strong artistic eye to create compelling natural simulation.
- Ability to self-critique creative work, address notes, and expand upon the art direction given.
- Work collaboratively and professionally in a high-end software and production environment.
Experience scripting and/or programming a plus.
From the award-winning storytellers, artist and innovators at DreamWorks Animation and DreamWorks Animation Television come the beloved characters and stories that come alive on the big and small screens. From films like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon and Trolls to original TV series including Trollhunters, Voltron and Home: Adventures with Tip & Oh, DreamWorks Animation continues to bring home the laughter, fun and courage to dream.
to see our latest animated film and television productions.
DreamWorks is a division of NBCUniversal. At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.