Investigative Reporter – NBC Boston / NECN / Telemundo Boston
Location: Newton, Massachusetts
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
NBC Boston / NECN / Telemundo Boston, the NBC Owned Television Station triopoly, is looking for a passionate, experienced, and innovative investigative reporter to join the largest special projects unit in New England. You’ll be working out of a new state-of-the-art broadcast media center that is home to the triopoly and NBC Sports Boston.
The successful candidate will be expected to enterprise and produce ground-breaking investigative news stories and contribute to major breaking news events. We pride ourselves on being an organization dedicated to holding the powerful accountable and uncovering truth. And we are building a culture of innovation and experimentation. We are looking for a creative thinker who is willing to experiment with telling stories in non-traditional ways to reach new audiences across any device.
The applicant should have a good understanding of how to deliver meaningful and impactful stories for our digital and broadcast platforms. Applicant must have computer-assisted reporting skills as well as basic photography and edit skills. An understanding of how to tell stories on our digital platforms is a must. This is not an entry level position.
ResponsibilitiesResearch, develop, write and produce ground-breaking investigative news storiesGenerate long and short-term investigative news projectsContribute research and analysis on major breaking news eventsEnterprise investigative content across all of our on-air and digital platformsDevelop and maintain sources that will generate exclusive reportsWillingness to perform basic video shooting and editing as needed
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience working as a television news reporter
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience working as an investigative reporter
• Impeccable reporting and storytelling skills
• Demonstrated ability to use digital platforms to reach audiences
• Understanding of how to engage audiences on social media
• Understanding of computer-assisted reporting and working with spreadsheet programs
• Ability to present stories for all station platforms
• Strong understanding and demonstration of editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including a current knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations
• Demonstrated ability to solve problems, prioritize decisions, and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently in a high pressure, breaking news environment
• Bilingual Spanish
• Understanding of emerging news production techniques and technology, with a pioneering spirit with desire to learn emerging technologies and invent the future
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels
• Believes that teams are smarter and more dynamic together
• Experience being actively engaged in editorial processes and meetings
• Knowledge of non-linear editing and shooting workflow
Please include at least five examples of your best work on both broadcast and digital with your application.
Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered
Must be able to provide a reel/portfolio of work examples -- if available, include a web address when you submit your resume
Must be willing to work in Needham, MA (Greater Boston)
Must have a valid driver’s license
Must have a flexible schedule with ability to work any of a 24x7 shift and willingness to travel and work long hours and on weekends with short notice
Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.