Host, Politics Podcast
Location: New York, New York
Specialty: Television & Film, Video
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
NBC News and MSNBC are launching a flagship podcast to help tell the most important stories of the 2020 election.
The host of this show is a political junkie who cares deeply about keeping the public informed and providing a window into the campaign trail. The host is interested in covering issues that most affect American voters, and relishes telling a story from the trail that may otherwise go untold. As host, this person will be working closely with NBC’s network of correspondents and embeds who are out on the road.
The tone and style of the show will be shaped by the host, and this person’s past work should reflect sharp interviewing skills, a creative approach to storytelling, an understanding of writing for audio and a deep breadth of political knowledge to draw upon.
The host will also be a leader of the team, working closely with the executive producer and other team members to hone the editorial mission of the show and establish a standard of excellence that is pursued daily.
This position is based in New York.
Please include links in your cover letter to an appearance on a live broadcast or podcast that showcases you as a host or a guest, or other audio examples of your reporting or analysis.
• Work with Executive Producer and editorial leads to develop podcast’s format and tone
• Play a key role in daily editorial planning
• Consistently generates timely and well researched pitches
• Collaborate with team of producers to refine scripts and successfully execute interviews and tracking
• Write program copy and anchor the podcast
• Craft a distinct voice and bring personality to the show
• Participate in ongoing evaluation and refinement of the show’s sound
• Work with Executive Producer to establish a positive team culture and one of experimentation and smart risk-taking.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
• At least seven years’ experience as an audio/broadcast journalist, breaking news reporter, or equivalent
• A background in political reporting
• Understanding of journalistic ethics and best practices
• An ear for what makes a compelling, well-told audio story
• A critical view on the existing political news landscape, and strong perspectives on the gaps to fill for a general interest audience
• An engaging personality and fresh voice
• Strong scripting skills and a talent for writing to tape
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects under deadline
• Collaborative attitude and strong communication skills
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.