Development Writer and Donor Stewardship
- Full Time
As a team member of the Development Office, this position contributes to the fundraising success of the Society by ensuring that donors have a positive and rewarding philanthropic experience. Reporting to the Manager of Development Communications, this position possesses the desire and ability to work cooperatively with various program leaders throughout the Society to effectively communicate the nature, value, and impact of Society programs to a wide range of audiences including current donors, prospective donors, and the general public.
- Contributes to the development of high quality written reports, proposals, prospectuses, articles, presentations and letters on the Society’s programs and its mission.
- Strictly adheres to reporting and proposal deadlines, maintaining a calendar of deadlines and proactively coordinating with development staff, program leaders, and finance staff to ensure that deadlines are met without fail.
- Provides editorial assistance on a wide range of communications and outreach efforts, including social media posts and content on acs.org, working collaboratively and cooperatively with multiple parties often under tight time constraints.
- Updates and edits acs.org websites that pertain to the Development Office and related programs.
- Drafts appeal letters, the general acknowledgement letter, customized acknowledgement letters, and custom cover letters that accompany proposals and reports.
- Liaises with Society program leaders and staff to stay abreast of program activities in order to facilitate effective and accurate communications.
- Provides research on prospective donors, helping the team assess their suitability as prospects and developing initial cultivation strategies.
- Contributes to the planning and execution of special events, which may occur in the evenings and/or during the weekend.
- Contributes to the Development Office in other ways, assisting with general tasks as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3+ years professional writing experience, preferably in grant writing.
- Advanced level proficiency in Microsoft Office suite – including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Excellent communication skills are a must with proven ability to communicate professionally, persuasively and accurately at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend scientifically-oriented subject matter, synthesize it, and convey it to various audiences.
- A self-starter, with demonstrated ability to organize time and set priorities, multi-task, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team, fostering a spirit of cooperation between groups.
- Demonstrated interest in science and/or science education desired. Experience in fundraising or working with scientists and/or in a scientific institution would be an asset.