Media Editorial Assistant, Biology
- Full Time
W. W. Norton & Company is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support the Media Editor for biology for digital resources for college courses.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Management of manuscripts for digital resources in all stages of production – Sending manuscript to be reviewed by college instructors. Setting and adhering to schedules. Preparing manuscript for digital resources for copyediting and production.
- Communication management – Professionally interacting with authors, college faculty, marketing, and sales staff to relay messages, follow-up on requests/information, and in general, anticipating when to proactively act on messages (including relaying messages with a sense of urgency).
- Document management – Copying, printing, emailing. Organizing and maintaining files.
- Creating and editing Excel and Word documents to support projects and/or office responsibilities.
- Data Management – Extracting data from internal web based information portals. Aggregating data from various sources. Information gathering and following up.
- Project management – Collaborating with and providing support to media editorial team to move numerous different projects forward in order to meet publishing deadlines.
- Market research – Assisting media editor with research on market trends in online learning.
Please note - this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Employment eligibility to work with W. W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
- Must be able to work standard business hours from Norton’s NYC headquarter office.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills.
- Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
- Must be able to develop rapport and relationships with all levels of employees. Must be seen as knowledgeable and capable of handling sensitive, critical information.
- Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
- Must be self-directed and independent.
- Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing across departments, activities, and projects.
- Must be detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of their daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes.
- Must have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of electronic media as it applies to education and/or learning.
- Must have strong research skills.
- Must have a passion for learning new software programs.
- Subject matter expertise is not required, but applicants should note whether they have taken any college-level political science courses.
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google Docs Windows and Mac OS required.
- Proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Mastery of email, calendar management, and file management tools required.
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with W. W. Norton is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, age, color, sex, religion, veteran status, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the human resource manager.