- Full Time
Northern Virginia Magazine, a regional lifestyle glossy covering the suburbs of Washington, DC, is looking for a motivated, highly-organized, talented editor to manage the day-to-day operations of the editorial team. The right candidate will exhibit strong leadership, communication and print and digital management skills. The managing editor should be fluent in the latest media trends. The managing editor will work with the Editor on content creation and will ensure print and digital success by establishing performance metrics.
- Working with freelance writers and staff editors/writers and assigning stories
- Working with the Editor and planning major enterprise, departments, investigative stories and special projects
- Managing editorial calendar and budgets
- Leading the production process including fact checking and coordinating photo shoots
- Making smart, data-driven decisions based on metrics on stories for all platforms
- Contributing and writing stories
- Strong wordsmith who has demonstrated a talent for editing
- Ability to coach diverse writers
- Deep familiarity with online metrics and audience tracking systems
- Knowledge of media trends
- Strong knowledge on AP Style and the rules of grammar, spelling and punctuation
- Ability to write and edit accurately
- Knowledge of SEO and various digital platforms
- Strong work ethic and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work well with individuals within the company
- Sound decision-making skills
- Adherence editorial codes of ethics
The managing editor will report to the Editor and will supervise other editors and writers. The right candidate will have previous experience managing staff and freelancers at a magazine or newspaper and thrive in a deadline-driven environment.
Please submit resume, cover letter and salary history.
Northern Virginia Magazine is headquartered in Chantilly, Virginia and remote candidates will not be considered. We will only be contacting those individuals whose qualifications and experience appear to be a fit for this position. We are an equal opportunity employer. No phone calls, please.