Product Director, Mobile Apps
- Full Time
Job Description:Product Director, Mobile Apps
The Wall Street Journal is looking for an experienced product leader to guide the product strategy for our mobile apps.
This is a critical role because an increasing number of our users consume news on mobile. We are looking for someone who cares about great news experiences and the technologies that drive them. You will be a leader within our Strategy organization—a cross-discipline, collaborative unit that is helping to shape the future of our news experiences—during a time of growth and great momentum.
As you manage the priorities of our expanding mobile engineering team, you’ll also think about the role of each mobile platform among our audience groups. You'll manage another product manager who has a specific focus on tablet apps. And you’ll play an important role in our broader conversation about cross-platform user experience, engagement and innovation.
This job is based in New York and reports to the Head of Audience Touchpoints.
- Develop mission and vision statements for the Android and iOS platform apps, including iPhone and iPad.
- Own the WSJ iOS and Android apps platform roadmaps, using an OKR framework to set clear objectives and associated key results, tied to tech-wide and company-wide strategies and vision.
- Work in agile scrum framework including sprints, sprint reviews, sprint planning, retrospectives and grooming sessions. Design a process that works for the team and ensure the team sticks to it.
- Partner with peers in product management, engineering, design, delivery and commercial to ensure communication across functions and removal of any blockers to delivery
- Ensure that execution and vision are aligned, and communicate clearly and quickly any conflicts, questions or concerns about development, feature requests or timelines
- Perform vendor analysis and recommend integrations where it makes sense, always with a keen, logical and dispassionate view on build vs. buy scenarios.
- Partner with other leaders in Strategy as we take WSJ products to the next level and focus on digital innovation
- Be fearless in launching and experimenting
- 5+ years of experience leading the development of content-rich iOS or Android mobile applications
- Expert ability in managing product roadmaps and backlogs
- Must be comfortable working in quarterly increments, complete with looking back on previous quarter and using results to recast the next quarter’s plan.
- Strong understanding of the latest technical standards and digital product best practices in usability and iterative product development
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders
- Experience in a news organization, particularly with video and audio products, is preferred.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com . Please put “Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: About Us
The Wall Street Journal is a global news organization that provides leading news, information, commentary and analysis. The Wall Street Journal engages readers across print, digital, mobile, social, and video. Building on its heritage as the preeminent source of global business and financial news, the Journal includes coverage of U.S. and world news, politics, arts, culture, lifestyle, sports, and health. It holds 38 Pulitzer Prizes for outstanding journalism. The Wall Street Journal is published by Dow Jones, a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 19768