- Full Time
W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. is seeking a Photo Editor in its College Division. The Photo Editor manages multiple photo programs on tight deadlines and is responsible for these projects start to finish (research, obtaining files, crediting, clearance). Projects include books and digital products in such disciplines as drama, film, music, history, anthropology, economics, psychology, politics, and the hard sciences. This position reports directly to the Photo Department Manager.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
- Work closely with Photo Department Manager to monitor permissions processes, schedules, budgets, and workload; deliver weekly status reports.
- Assist authors and editors on the visual and contextual aspects of their photo programs; advise on quality and budget considerations.
- Oversee freelance photo researchers to assure timely and appropriate photo research and permissions.
- Complete photo research in-house when needed.
- Check photos for quality and resolution; complete minor retouching and conversion to fit production’s needs.
- Maintain project databases and set up usage reports for our Billing Specialist.
- Maintain organized and detailed records.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in the book publishing industry.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Self-starter with aptitude for collaboration with editors, authors, designers, and production and project managers.
- Ability to troubleshoot and keep a variety of projects organized while remaining focused on budgets, deadlines, photo quality, and production concerns.
- Familiarity with photo sources: commercial agencies, photographers, museums, libraries, scientific institutions, and academic sources.
- Knowledge of copyright and various licensing options (microstock, royalty free, rights managed) and organizations such as ARS and RightsLink.
- Understanding of all stages of book production.
- Experienced in Photoshop, Bridge, Microsoft Office (OneDrive and SharePoint), FileMaker, Adobe Acrobat, and standard FTP file transfer applications.
- FigureOne experience is a plus.
- Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
- Must be able to work standard business hours from Norton’s NYC headquarter office.
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years.” In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital resources that support teaching and learning. For more information about the Company, visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with W. W. Norton is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, age, color, sex, religion, veteran status, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the human resource manager.