Innovative News Producer- Boston
Location: Newton, Massachusetts
Function: Writing & Editing
Specialty: Editor / Editorial, News & Journalism
Level: Manager (Supervisor)
Duration: Full Time
Salary Description: competitive
Want to break the mold for local television news? New England Cable News / NECN (serving viewers in six New England states) and NBC Boston is looking for an innovative news Producer who is looking to shake things up by producing a new style of local newscast. The show will have a unique voice, format, and look, and you’ll play a key role in nurturing it from concept to fruition. Have ideas on how to get people to start watching local TV news again? Frustrated that your show looks the same as every other show? Want to reinvent how we deliver a newscast while staying true to the fundamentals of good journalism and solid reporting? Can you write copy that your friends would want to listen to and pick stories that you’d want to watch every day? If so, this opportunity could be for you.
JOB DUTIES:Responsible for the content and overall production of a new style of local newscastOversee the details of the broadcast while working closely with all members of the news team including the show’s Executive ProducerBuild the rundown, create graphics unique to the show, and manage the on-air broadcast from the control roomContribute story and segment ideas for the newscast Produce news stories and specials as assignedOversee and write the news briefs and daily promos when neededRespond quickly and aggressively to breaking news and getting information on the airCopy-edit reporter scripts as well as all newscast copyMust work a flexible schedule when needed to cover other shifts and breaking newsFill in as a producer on other more traditional shows as needed
- B.A in Journalism or related field
- 3 or more years of line producing experience in television news
- 3 or more years of technical news production skills, including creating show rundowns
- Able to edit on desktop
- Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work overtime and on weekends with short notice
- Must be able to work any of a 24/7 shift, holidays, weekends and respond to breaking news events
- Must be willing to work at the station in Newton, MA.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
- Out-of-the-box thinker
- Eager to take chances and try new things
- Excellent tease-writing skills
- Experience in other forms of media
- Strong social media and digital skills
- Creative storyteller
- Excellent writing skills
- A high degree of flexibility in scheduling and assignments
- Driven interest in current events & local issues
At NBCUniversal, we believe in the talent of our people. It’s our passion and commitment to excellence that drives NBCU’s vast portfolio of brands to succeed. From broadcast and cable networks, news and sports platforms, to film, world-renowned theme parks and a diverse suite of digital properties, we take pride in all that we do and all that we represent. It’s what makes us uniquely NBCU. Here you can create the extraordinary. Join us.
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.