Senior Communications Coordinator, The Hamilton Project
- Full Time
The Brookings Institution
Equal-Opportunity Employer: It is Brookings policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all of its employees and applicants without regard to their actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, citizenship status, family responsibilities, gender identity or expression, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, veteran status, or any other prohibited basis of discrimination as required by law.
Senior Communications Coordinator, The Hamilton Project (Job ID: 2019-2227)
Job ID: 2019-2227
Type: Regular, Introductory, Term
# of Openings: 1
Join one of the most influential, most quoted and most trusted think tanks!
The Brookings Institution is a nonprofit public policy organization based in Washington, DC. Our mission is to conduct in-depth research that leads to new ideas for solving problems facing society at the local, national and global level.
We bring together leading experts in government and academia from all over the world, rooted in open-minded inquiry and representing diverse points of view, who provide the highest quality research, policy recommendations, and analysis. Research topics cover a full range of public policy issues in economics, foreign policy, development, governance and metropolitan policy.
With fair and transparent business practices, clear communication, mutual respect, and a collaborative atmosphere that offers both professional and personal development opportunities, Brookings offers an inclusive and welcoming workplace that values the efforts of all contributors.
About Economic Studies: The Economic Studies program analyzes current and emerging economic issues facing the United States and the world and provides innovative, practical policy recommendations. ES's work covers a broad array of issues, including the labor market, economic and financial regulation, health, inequality, social policy, and fiscal and monetary policies.
About The Hamilton Project: The Hamilton Project offers a strategic vision and produces innovative policy proposals on how to create a growing economy that benefits more Americans. The Project's strategy reflects a judgment that long-term prosperity is best achieved by fostering economic growth and broad participation in that growth, by enhancing individual economic security, and by embracing a role for effective government in making needed public investments.
Ready to contribute to Brookings success?
The Senior Communications Coordinator is responsible for supporting the Managing Director in the development of The Hamilton Project's (THP) media relations strategies and the day-to-day implementation of those strategies, including promoting Hamilton Project research and events and elevating the media presence of THP experts. The individual will develop draft and edit blog posts, op-eds, and news releases for external audiences. They will also play a key role in the development and execution of social media strategy for The Hamilton Project in the Economic Studies Program (ES) at Brookings.
Media Relations Strategy and Management (50%)
- Works with the Managing Director to develop strategies for increasing coverage of THP research, experts, and events over time; helps document strategies and establish benchmark goals as part of the THP communication team's strategic planning process.
- Identifies opportunities to react to breaking news and offer THP experts for interviews and comments.
- Drafts press releases or media advisories where appropriate for the release of new research, events, or Hamilton Project institutional announcements.
- Publicizes events to members of the media, driving awareness and capturing news made during events.
- Interacts with members of the media at public and private ES events; responds to questions and concerns with poise and professionalism.
- Monitor news trends on social media and develop strategies for promoting ES experts and their research where appropriate.
- Manages THP scholars' media bookings and interviews. Routes incoming press calls as needed.
- Monitors print, online and broadcast media for coverage that includes mention of THP projects and experts.
- Consistently updates media lists to reflect editorial staff and beat changes.
- Oversees compilation and dissemination of weekly media clips.
Editorial Support (30%)
- Partners with THP scholars and the Managing Director to draft and edit blog posts, op-eds, and other written materials.
- Coordinates with Brookings Central Communications as needed to align THP editorial and media strategies with Institution-wide goals.
Digital Strategy (20%)
- Directs management of social media outreach tools, Twitter and other platforms.
- Identifies strategies to help THP further elevate its visibility with core audiences, including creative concepts such as videos, podcasts and social media ideation.
- Working with the Project and Design Coordinator, develops digital content strategies to enhance promotion and readership of THP research.
- Assists with publicizing events, including attracting attendees and media, and uses social media tools to drive awareness and capture news made during hosted events.
Ready to make an impact? In this role, you will support Brookings values of collegiality, respect, inclusion, diversity and community, and bring the following qualifications:
Bachelor's degree required. Minimum three years of professional experience in a communications setting required, preferably in a public relations agency, news outlet, or other political/policy environment. Must have strong understanding of the modern media landscape, experience developing and implementing strategies to elevate an organization's media presence, established and experience using traditional and social media management systems such as Cision/Vocus and Sprout. Must have strong interest or experience in economic policy issues. Must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.
Basic knowledge of MS Word and strong Excel required; ability to learn database systems. Strategic understanding of social networks like Facebook, Twitter and YouTube required. Strong organization, high initiative, strong interpersonal skills, discretion, poise, mature judgment; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; articulate; strong writing skills preferred.
What can we offer you? Brookings provides a generous benefit package that is comprehensive and includes both traditional benefits and unique offerings.
Brookings requires that all applicants submit a cover letter and resume. Please attach your cover letter and resume as one document when you apply.
Successful completion of a background investigation is required for employment at Brookings.
Brookings is an equal-opportunity employer that is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, or other factors protected by law.