Staff Writer, Health and Medicine
- Full Time
Who we are:
The Association of American Medical Colleges is a not-for-profit association dedicated to transforming health care by supporting the entire spectrum of medical education, medical research, and patient care conducted by our member institutions. We are dedicated to the communities we serve and steadfast in our goal to improve the health of all. The AAMC strives to make a positive impact not only in your career, but in your life. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which features:
- Significant employer 403(b) contribution
- Public transportation subsidy
- Generous paid time off program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness program that includes: discounted gym membership, onsite yoga and sponsored sports teams
Why us, why now?
As a Staff Writer at at the AAMC you will contribute to AAMCNews, the dynamic, mobile-friendly destination for the latest news, current trends, and ongoing conversations about the most important topics in academic medicine. Working with the AAMCNews team, you will develop at least 2-4 articles each month depending on length and complexity. This includes interviewing sources and managing staff and source approvals, completing revisions after copy editing, and gathering images to accompany articles.
How will you make an impact?
- Writing—Write at least two to four articles per month for AAMCNews from long-format feature articles to short sidebars. Writing also may include revisions of freelancer copy.
- Editorial Production— Preparing articles in templates; gathering photos, other images, and/or videos to accompany freelancer articles; notifying sources when articles are published; assisting the editor with web updates and corrections.
- Article Development— Cultivating and developing story ideas by establishing relationships with staff and constituents. The writer will be responsible for finding research to support each article and to provide related resources for readers.
What will you bring to the role?
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications required, along with at least 3-5 years of relevant experience.
- Intermediate editorial skills in writing for the web, editing, interviewing, fact-checking, and strategic communications. This includes attention to detail and a facility with multitasking. The ability to write snappy headlines and teasers are a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with other people at many levels of authority and in a diverse professional environment.
- Preferably, a background in healthcare. Writing content is geared toward professionals in academic medicine, not consumers.
- Experience working in a membership association, advocacy group, or in higher education preferred
Please provide at least three clips or samples of your writing with your application
If a bachelor’s degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.